Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Win, Place, Show: SKAM Pairs/Men Predictions

Tick tick tick… SKAM keeps getting closer, so I studied its schedule today. If I’m going to make some predictions, the least I can do is get them in before each particular event gets underway.

So before I get to it, I should offer the disclaimer that I have a proven track record of inadequacy when it comes to podium predictions, Oscar/Emmy/Grammy guesses, forecasting the future for friends, etc. In other words, you might want to seek out a more reliable blog if you plan to do some wagering.

As long as you understand that, I’m ready to roll with two of the four disciplines:

PAIRS: Gold- Savchenko/Szolkowy (GER)
Silver- McLaughlin/Brubaker (USA)
Bronze- Duhamel/Buntin (CAN)


None of last year’s medalists in this event are returning, so I’m choosing (unsurprisingly?) the #1 ISU-ranked pair in the world to win. And I’m putting Inoue/Baldwin out of the medals because this is their first time performing so early in the season in quite a while—I just don’t expect them to be at the level they might be at for, say, NHK Trophy.

Mukhortova and Trankov (Russia) could work their way into a medal, but if there’s still the acrimony with this pair that reportedly existed last season, I’m suspicious it could turn up in their skating.

MENS: Gold- Johnny Weir (USA)
Silver- Evan Lysacek (USA)
Bronze- Kevin Van Der Perren (BEL)


If you saw my
GP Showdowns to Watch post back in June, you know I mentioned the Johnny/Evan “rematch” as the main event of Skate America. What I didn’t do back then was pick a winner of said rematch. I’ve gone with Weir to win here primarily because I figure he might be a little hungrier to beat Evan than vice versa. I know he bettered him at Worlds last spring, but I think it means something a little different on U.S. soil. Or ice, as the case may be.

I’m picking Van Der Perren for the podium based on his track record, or the simple fact that he has one compared to most others in this event. It wouldn’t surprise me much, though, to see one of the relative newbies break away from the pack and take an upset bronze.

The clock keeps on ticking, so I’ll be back with ladies and dance predictions sometime before compulsories start on Friday…

Until then, enjoy this
Clip of the Day featuring Evan Lysacek’s free skate from 2007 Skate America.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelli - did you hear that Kevin VDP has withdrawn? I read about it over at FSU forums. Not sure about details, guess it's injury.

Kelli Lawrence said...

No, I sure didn't! I'm in the middle of a very tight week work-wise, and haven't had time to go to FSU... thanks Sharon. I guess I'll give an alternate prediction in the next post!