Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Changes en route to Moscow's Worlds, pt. 1: The Kerrs

So what’s been happening in the skating world in the week or so since the Moscow announcement? Quite a lot… and we bring the good, the bad, and the to-be-determined news this time around. (There were also a few things happening prior to the Moscow announcement that kind of got lost in the shuffle. I’ll be getting to those soon as well.) And for the time being I'm having trouble with the way these posts are turning up on the blog-- in case you haven't noticed!-- so I'm going to break these into smaller posts until I can figure this out... thanks for bearing with me............................................................................ Let’s get what I consider the worst of the bad news out of the way first: The Kerrs will not be competing in Moscow’s re-scheduled Worlds due to injury. According to IceNetwork.com, this is what was posted on John Kerr’s Facebook page this week: "I am sorry to announce that Sinead and I will not be participating at the world championships in Moscow. Sinead re-injured her shoulder in a training accident three weeks ago, and medical opinion has now advised that it would be impossible for her to be ready for that event. She is going in for surgery tomorrow and the recovery is expected to be about two months." But according to this article, they’ve announced their retirement as well. A quote from Sinead: "It's disappointing we have had to retire in these circumstances, but when we came off the ice at the Europeans in Berne, we turned to each other and said 'if this is our final performance, it's a pretty good way to bow out'.” Rather sad though not altogether surprising, especially with both Kerrs now in their 30s. I’ll try to re-visit this particular “retirement” in the future, when I can devote a little more time to it.

No comments: