Sunday, November 1, 2020

The First WISH LIST of TGD Season 4!




#SHEA SEEDS…

 

           + Last week I mentioned Entertainment Weekly as an    above-average source of TGD/#Shea info. This week, they delivered another S4 preview/David Shore interview for you to look over. I don’t think it revealed a whole lot more than we’ve already picked up from ComicCon and other sources, but it’s still fun to see it represented! 

(As for the new "Entertainment News" article about them that follows next when you search Shaun and Lea articles... I only looked at it long enough to see that one of my #Shea-shaming sources from last week was referenced. Then said buh-bye and moved on. You might be advised to do the same.)

(Whether or not you choose to explore the Shaun Lea Funeral Home in Scotland Neck, N.C.-- a steady #3 turnout in the search engine-- that's entirely up to you 😀 )

            I don’t know how well you can see the details of these two images I’m posting here… depends on what device you’re using, and your zoom-in capabilities… but regular reader/commenter Tony Payne went ABOVE and BEYOND, channeled his own inner Casey Kasem 😊, and assembled this countdown of ALL 60 TGD S3 YouTube clips in order of popularity (# of views). Incredible effort, Tony! And yes, #Shea clips rank among the most-watched. (Like there was any doubt…) 

    
















And oh, by the way, have you seen the THREE sneak peeks of the 11/2 premiere that circulated this week?

 

Here is clip #1: Shaun with COVID patient Martin (and his wife, I presume):



 

Clip #2 features Shaun and temporary roommate Park (let the bromance begin with these two!), who get into it about missing someone (and we learn—sigh—that Lea had reclaimed a cabinet in the apartment prior to lockdown):


 

And last but not in any way LEAST! Our first look at Shaun and Lea in a room together this season!! (Obviously showing life pre-COVID)


**

Show of hands: who has spent some period of time during the pandemic apart from a significant other? 

As a woman who works from home married to a man who worked from home from March through September of this pandemic, I had little to complain about. In fact, the two of us plus our high-school age daughter plus our Purdue-student son managed rather well during those six months (before said son headed off to deal with the challenges of being an on-campus college student during this “uncertain times”). 

I suppose it can seem frivolous to need one’s boyfriend or girlfriend during a lockdown situation, but I suspect most people living single-while-still-having-a-significant-other would say otherwise. My best friend is in that situation, and I know that one of the few things she left home for in the early days of the pandemic were to visit her boyfriend, who lives about 30 minutes away. Meanwhile, we’re both longtime friends with an NP (Nurse Practitioner) who works at UC San Diego who has been VIGILANT, as you might expect, about people following the proverbial protocol of lockdown… 

But even he (our NP friend) privately told her (my bestie) that he hoped she was breaking the rules and spending one-on-one time with her boyfriend! I should point out, though, that neither my bestie nor her boyfriend are anywhere near the medical profession… that probably made his endorsement a wee bit easier. 

As for the TGD version of life during lockdown, here’s what we know so far: 

The “Frontline” two-parter covers a span of approximately six months… and before I get to Shaun and Lea’s situation, I’ve just got to point out how remarkable it is when a timetable is mentioned at all on TGD, where the time and space continuum is, like many shows, rather fluid. Shaun and Carly's "Disaster" date leading S3 was presumably a few weeks after the S2 finale; yet by the time of "Friends and Family" there was a direct reference to it being December. Likewise, the time lapse between end of S1/start of S2 was minimal, yet there we were with holiday music, Santa, etc. in "Quarantine pts. 1 and 2"... and the holidays were somehow completely over by "Aftermath" (taking place one day after the "Quarantine" episodes). I'm likely to pay an inordinate amount of attention to the details of this two-parter to keep a watchful eye for lockdown haircuts (or lack thereof) alone...

We also know that there is at least a small portion of the season opener that is devoted to pre-pandemic life… as evidenced by our #Shea teaser. I’m curious to see if that’s where the episode actually starts, or if they’ll pick it up midstream (amid some deeper COVID madness) for a minute—or maybe the entire cold open, pre-credits—before dialing it back a few months.

 

And we are at least pretty sure that once the decision is made for Shaun and Lea to keep their distance, they don’t break the rules. Though who am I kidding, we’d love to be wrong about this one. Doesn’t seem that it would be in Shaun’s nature… but would Shaun-in-love-and-pandemic-desperate resort to something unexpected? I’m still going to say “no”. But I wouldn’t mind being wrong.

 

Without much more to go on, I guess I’ll have to do something I haven’t been able to do since March…

 

(Eat in a public place? Shop without a mask? No…)

 

IT’S TIME FOR A “FRONTLINE, Pt.1” WISHLIST!

 

(Note: for new readers, or for those who just need reminding… I’m not particularly good at predictions. That’s why I’m calling this a wish list.)

 

Strictly #Shea Wishes…

 

I would LOVE to get a little day-in-the-early-life of #Shea 2.0 that gave us some physical affection. I strongly suspect that what we saw in the teaser is all that we’re getting, but what I wish for is a little more: short scene at the hospital (hey, someone else can be in the scene too, I’m not picky… come on Glassy, let them steal a kiss or two in your office!), a second scene at the apartment, the two of them side by side if there’s any sort of on-camera Melendez memorial…

 

+ I think most of us are in agreement that Lea’s promise (in the teaser) of spending the night at Shaun’s apartment on “Saturday” isn’t going to happen because, by then, the virus will have officially found its way to St. B. My wish, in such a case, is that Shaun doesn’t reflexively blame Lea for causing this momentous occasion to be indefinitely delayed… or if he does, he gets over it quickly.

 

+ This may seem an odd one, but I wish for Lea’s working role at St. B to become better defined during these pandemic-themed episodes. Seems easy enough; if non-essential staff were required to work from home, isn’t it possible she’d have her hands full as one of the ones overseeing that transition for Glassman and possibly others? But I know explaining this is likely low on the totem pole of priorities, so I guess a line or two about it—maybe during a FaceTime conversation between Lea and Shaun—will suffice.

 

+ And taking wishes for Lea one step further… unless she is deemed essential enough to keep coming in to St. B on a daily basis, won’t she be even more isolated than the doctors? No spouse, no roommate, no immediate family in San Jose… but I might be borrowing trouble here. Let’s see if this comes up on Monday’s episode, and if it doesn’t I might need to gripe about it next week.

 

One more “just Lea” thing… there’s been some speculation on the small blue item in Shaun’s hands when he and Lea are sitting on opposite sides of the apartment door. If it’s a piece of origami, as some believe it to be, maybe that’s the time-filler of choice for Lea during quarantine. Some of us have done more jigsaw puzzles, some have taken up knitting, others have cultivated their sourdough skills… for someone like Lea, maybe the Japanese art of paper-folding is her new jam. If so, it’d be a cool way to acknowledge that particular pandemic sidebar.

 

+ For Shaun, we already expect this two-parter to teach him the “missing you” side of love. But what about COVID’s lessons for him as a doctor—or just as a person? We’re used to seeing Dr. Murphy find solutions to problems that seem downright unsolvable, so in that regard alone, I can see why David Shore felt he needed to bring the pandemic into TGD’s storyline. The dramatic value is a given, as is the personal connection bound to be felt by far too many viewers. But the level of frustration for the titular doctor (who is used to “seeing things others can’t,” to paraphrase Dr. Glassman) to be faced with a virus he doesn’t know and can’t predict? At all? I guess it’s as good of a follow-up to the S3 earthquake situation as we can get, when you think about it—something that requires more leadership, more quick pivoting away from things that aren’t working, more acceptance of that which is out of one’s control.

 

+ The “sneak peek” TGD provided of Shaun and COVID patient Martin had a second line in it that caught my ear. “Its (COVID’s) are not at all consistent; it’s becoming annoying,” Shaun says as he readies to rush Martin away to explore a newly-developed heart murmur. Methinks Shaun was understating it big time, and feel bad already for the stress he’s likely to put on himself (at least in the first half of this two-parter) trying to apply ShaunVision ™ to this virus. “Trying to nail Jell-O to the wall” is a phrase that springs to mind…

 

Which, of course, would make the woman in his life an even more crucial source of comfort in more “normal” times. (SIGH)

 

Think about this: we talk a lot about how Shaun has come full circle on the matter of physical touch… from “I used to hate hugs; now, sometimes, I don’t” to the leading-man kiss he co-delivered at the end of the S3 finale. NOW, we have a man who likely yearns to hug a certain someone more than ever—but, instead, has to settle for her face on a cold, one-dimensional video screen. It’s like coming full-circle-and-a-half, and all you want to do is turn back that dial a little bit to that sweet spot that faded far too quickly…

 

Sweetness doesn’t last long enough as it is. How robbed Shaun and Lea must feel as Monday’s episode progresses! But while waiting for that future day when they can begin again, I find myself wishing a few more things:

 

+ Some words about why Lea decided to take the romantic plunge with Shaun after all; maybe not a specific why Shaun makes me “more” conversation, but something more reflective than TGD has had time for until now.

 

+ Good listening from both of them. The question of “Why do you pay better attention when I’m on a screen than right in front of you?” (or vice versa) has got to be a thing that has cropped up in countless pandemic-impaired relationships. The only reason it might not be for #Shea is because they don’t have a lot to compare it to (“just friends” days notwithstanding). For now, long-distance is the only way they have of cultivating their love—nowhere to run or hide when that camera’s on, kids. How much will they focus on their own needs to vent versus hearing said vents? If Shaun does the sudden “I need to go” thing NOW (as he’s done on FaceTime in the past with Lea)… because he doesn’t know how to respond to something… will he catch hell for it?

 

+ Finally…with minimal direct interaction between them in “Frontline part 1,” I’m admittedly looking for what I’ll just call sweet talk, and how that looks on this couple. We figure on hearing/seeing words and body language to imply how badly they want to be together, but will there be any what would you do if I came through that screen right now talk? Depending on who asked it (OK I see Lea being the one), where would they go with it after Shaun pointed out coming through a video screen is impossible? Would Shaun verbalize any of his physical attraction to her? Would Lea dial her flirt level up to 11? Either one would be amazing… and… probably a lot more than we can realistically expect to see.

 

But just try to keep us from wishing for it.

 

What’s on your own wish list for these two (or others on the show) in “Frontline Pt. 1”? Share your thoughts in the comments!




6 comments:

Amy D said...

Thank you, Tony, for all your hard work in putting together the list of Shea scenes from S3 in the order of how many views they have. (I myself have to be responsible for no fewer than 1000 views of "Lea Says Shaun Makes Her More" since March 31.)

I caught that too--you can HEAR the frustration in Shaun's voice when he says that COVID's effects and symptoms are totally unpredictable and he hates it. There's a difference between something totally unpredictable cropping up in the OR while the patient is on the table, and a deadly virus whose full range of symptoms and effects isn't known. Shaun, and all of the doctors, are going to be playing medical Whack-a-Mole with their COVID patients. They get one symptom stabilized and something else crops up that they have to treat but they may not be successful. Right at the time he most needs some TLC--and the person best qualified to give that to him and the one that he would welcome it from the most is Lea--and they can't be together. No wonder he ends up on Glassman's front walk in a lather because he and Lea can't be together and he wants this to be over, and he bites Park's head off for trying to use Lea's cabinet. For a man who lives by routines, this is even more stressful than his self-described disastrous first date with Carly. All the unknowns, and the only known is that he can't be with the person he loves the most in the same physical space because she might get sick, and Shaun loves Lea too much to put her at that kind of risk.

I don't really have a wish list for "Frontline" Parts 1 and 2. We've all been dealing with COVID for most of the year, and it's getting increasingly worse where I live, so I'm stressed enough about that in real life. I admit, when I first heard the season opened of TGD was going to focus on COVID, I thought, "Great. One of the few escapes I have, and they're going to be dealing with COVID for the first two episodes." But I've come to realize since the sneak peeks and trailers have come out that they HAVE to do this. As a medical drama, it's irresponsible for them NOT to, and I'm actually interested to see how my favorite fictional dramatic characters deal with the pandemic both professionally and personally.

I did see speculation on Twitter that the blue item Lea apparently slips under Shaun's door might be either earplugs or something to help Shaun with the facial skin irritation from all the long hours wearing a mask. I would love for that to be the case, because it's a way for Lea to take care of Shaun even though they can't be together in person right now.

I'm wondering myself if Lea will be working remotely, because since she's non-medical personnel, and she works directly for Glassman, who, as a brain cancer survivor, is considered immunocompromised, and what we saw of him in the promo, he's not in a Hazmat suit at the hospital with the rest of the doctors, I could see her working from home. Since she's not medical staff, and both her job and its technology are designed to allow working from home, she won't be at the hospital, which will lessen her risk of exposure to COVID, but will also reinforce the physical distance between her and Shaun. They'll be missing each other fiercely.

I'm not sure what will happen in the next two episodes, but I'm ready for Shaun and Lea's official couplehood. They're living a life together now. Not physically together for the first two episodes (unless we get an amazing surprise at the end of "Frontline" Pt. 2, which is entirely possible), but they're in a mature, committed relationship, with all the joys and challenges that go with that, and I'm here for it.

Tony said...

Thank you, Kelli. Thank you, Amy. Your compliments are most humbling, and I hope things improve soon in all of our communities! One way I like to look at it: each day that passes is one day closer to better times!

A couple of the most Shea-pleasing stats from the Season 3 videos:
- 4 of the Top 6 were specifically Shaun and Lea scenes (with love prevailing as the highest-ranked among them)
- 6 of the Top 7 scenes have Shaun and Lea appearing in them, in some fashion

Even to the critics who argue that "views don't mean LIKES", I say this: as far as TV and advertisers go, an angry viewer's money is worth just as much as a happy viewer's money.

Now, for the Premiere.

I have a habit of sometimes looking ahead - or at least ahead of the moment. I'm anticipating something beautiful at the end of Part 2, given the show's plan to move ahead of the pandemic beyond these opening episodes. But that's not to take away from the drama of the moment, I expect some full-on heartbreaking moments between now and the end of 4.02.

I'm curious to see where the Part 1 / Part 2 break is. Will Part 1 focus on the immediate onset of the virus, and the aftermath of the Season 3 finale? Leaving Part 2 for the more "cultural" and time-spanning aspect of this pandemic? Or will the split be something different altogether? Thankfully, not much longer until we know for sure!

Unknown said...

Hey!!! Thank you so much Tony for your hard work, well done! And yes! I have noticed this, and also I have noticed that in IG and Twitter, I'm not clear if on Facebook too because I'm not that involved there... But videos containing Shea content or pictures of them, as long as Shaun's alone are the most liked... So yeah, haters are louder because unfortunately many times hate is stronger than love. But if we see the numbers, and I hope it will be reflected in audience, the show will do well.

Regarding the subject, well it is hard to have a wish list for these two episodes, but if I have to say something I would say Shaun and Lea being the cutest, trying to find new ways to communicate, eg. Love letters, texts, pictures, presents... Maybe? Would also love to hear them saying how much they love and miss each other, it is important that they can speak with truth during these difficult times.

For the second episode, I really really hope we can get an emotional and beautiful final scene with the two of them being able to be together, to touch and to kiss, after all the chaos... But let's see...

Thanks again for such a beautiful entry Kelli!!! Next time we will discuss what in fact happened yayyy!!! 😊


Vale

Barbara said...

This is a little off-topic, but I hope you will indulge me. I am not on any type of social media, so I cannot post this to TGD Squad Twitter or Instagram accounts, nor can I post it to your accounts, Kelli. I suppose I would be categorized as a "lurker."

What I wanted to add to the conversation is that I realize how troubling it was to many Good Doctor fans (I'm looking at you, Amy and Andreas!) to find out that the ratings for the premier episode were significantly lower than expected, as well as much lower than last season's finale. Several explanations were offered by the columnists (USA election, Covid TV-viewing burnout, etc.) The most irritating, however, was the theory that the masses of people angered by the death of Dr. Melendez had made good on their threat to boycott the show, and their absence had a chilling effect on the ratings. I do not know how you measure something like that, though, and it didn't help that the premier wasn't up against any real programming competition, unlike the weeks to come.

I have been so offended by the immaturity, vicious attitudes, and ugly language employed by these "fans." They provide the perfect example of why I avoid the locales for that type of discourse, and prefer to offer my opinion only in a pleasant forum such as this one.

I realize that viewing habits are totally different than they were when I was younger, and that streaming and additional on-demand viewings of TGD help boost the ratings, but not so much the ad revenues the sponsors seek. The cold fact is that low ratings for network shows lead eventually to cancellation, a worldwide audience not withstanding. I felt sorrow for everyone connected with the show. They clearly had put their hearts and souls into this season opener, and I was hopeful for a big splash, not a fizzle.

There is a tiny bright spot -- I do find new viewers discovering the show. At the beginning of each season, I purchase The Good Doctor on iTunes so that I can re-watch at my leisure. The Frontline Part 1 episode currently is their 3rd highest seller; the entire 4th season their 2nd highest. I do believe it is the highest perch the show has ever had. And if you peruse the rest of the top 200 buys, the Pilot, Mount Rushmore, and last year's finale all make an appearance, as well as Seasons 1 and 3 in their entirety. Will these new viewers tune in weekly? It takes patience to make the commitment to a show in the age of binge-watching and entire seasons streamed and released at once. Here's hoping.

Can't wait until next Monday! Be well, everyone.

Barbara

Andreas said...

Hey Barbara, many thanks for your kind words and insights! Every series ends eventually, even the ones with high ratings.

Yet, what's a real punch to the gut with the Mendelaire fandom is that they attack a series dedicated to boldly represent a minority that has been depicted before in stereotypes mostly in the media (Sheldon...), while TGD even doesn't shy away from neurodiverse sexuality.

This series has some strong messages to deliver. Messages that don't get through because a toxic fan culture bemoans being robbed of their neurotypical masturbation fantasy.

Kelli Lawrence said...

Barbara, thanks so much-- you can go off-topic anytime here :)

I'm unhappy with the ratings for Pt. 1 too, of course, though I haven't read the official speculation about it. I'm sorry to hear "the Melendaire Effect" is getting possible credit, though I guess I'm not surprised.

When theories were floated, did anyone talk about the fact that the show's star couple was widely advertised as "not being able to be together" for almost the entire episode? I can't help but wonder if that was as much of a turn-off to certain fans-- "I WATCHED THEM NOT BE TOGETHER FOR 3 SEASONS; WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY'RE STILL SEPARATED?"-- as the COVID storyline may be to others.

And as for those who "don't need to see COVID when they're trying to be entertained"... they really missed out. It was a stunning episode all around.