Friday, November 20, 2020

State of the #SHEA Part 22: It's Such a Lonely Word ("Newbies" episode)


#SHEA SEEDS…

 

You never know when an intriguing headline is going to be part of the next TGD script. Apparently either Tommy Moran or David Renaud (co-writers of “Newbies”) came across this NBC News headline about a social network group of people pretending to be ants back in May, and BOOM, it became a hobby that Lea mentions to Shaun in their first minute together on an episode that airs six months later! (Thanks, Andreas, for the link!)

 


🍏🏎🍏🏎🍏


The first non COVID-centered episode of TGD Season 4 was called “Newbies,” and since many episode titles have double-meanings that extend to Shaun’s personal life, I initially wondered if “Newbies” was a reference to not just the new residents, but Shaun and Lea as first-time lovers.

Since they made it clear at the start of the season that the “first-time” ship has already sailed, I assumed this third episode title of the season was solely about the residents. And perhaps it was. But if you think about it in terms of where Shaun and Lea are in their new relationship—and that, for all intents and purposes, this was their first bump in the road that didn’t have to do with the pandemic—maybe Newbies describes them after all.

If you’re already raising your hand to say Hold up… how was this a “new” problem when they’ve known each other for three years and Shaun has communication issues all the time?... you’re not alone. I saw numerous reactions from #Shea fans, especially right after the show aired Monday night, that wondered why this kind of thing was still an issue for them. The very short version of a response is because everything with them is through a new lens now. Shaun finally has the relationship he’s wanted for so long, and we all know what it took for Lea to finally set her fears aside and take a leap of faith with him. Emotions are more invested now; sensitivity is much higher. “Don’t screw this up” is the phrase lurking in the back of both their minds, ready to spring forward without much notice.

Which is not to say they’re walking on eggshells around each other 24/7. The longer they stay healthy together relationship-wise, the more likely that dreaded phrase will fade out of mind’s-earshot. But right now… as we saw Monday… they’ve got a ways to go.

Since we were treated to not only three #Shea scenes this week (as Tony Payne predicted in the comments of an earlier post) but also a few other #Shea-related scenes as Shaun sought out multiple resources for advice—I dove into all of them on a search for subtext, and the results I came up with were pretty interesting. Read on, and see if you agree! All so-called subtext, plus any additional comments I might be throwing in, will be under the original lines in italics.



1) Lunch w/Shaun, Lea, and newbies Jordan, John, and Enrique

 (picking it up midway through the breast surgery discussion) 

LEA: Well I don’t know what a tuberous breast is, but I think implants are way overrated.

SHAUN: (SOFTLY) That’s because your breasts are excellent.

LEA: Thank you! (TO OTHERS) That’s exactly my point… my breasts aren’t huge, but every guy who’s seen them up close and personal has been thrilled.

(NOTE: Might just be her personality, but it occurred to me that Lea’s oversharing here much like her ASD boyfriend… at least for a minute.)

SHAUN: I definitely was. I am thrilled by every part of your body!

(I love that Shaun doesn’t pay any heed to the “every guy’s seen them” comment… and also how he gestures to her like he’s presenting a masterpiece.)

LEA: (TO OTHERS) Sorry, my bad. Total TMI.

SHAUN: I’m not even bothered by your adenoidal voice, except when you talk to your mom on the phone, so I just put on headphones.

(Lea knew when to rein it in… Shaun didn’t.)

LEA: (STUNG, BUT TRYING TO SAVE FACE AS SHE LOOKS AROUND AT THE STUNNED NEWBIES) A-at least you know he’ll be a totally honest boss.

(When they showed this out of context in the promo, I was wondering what Shaun had said right before this line because it seemed she was covering for something. How interesting that we now know she was covering for her own hurt feelings.)







2) "Work party" conversation between Shaun and newbies Jordan, John and Asher

When Shaun is called out by John for being inappropriate in asking Asher about his love life, Shaun stresses the value of knowing this information by tying it to how his girlfriend is very important to him: “it affects my life in every way.” (Awwww...)

JORDAN: Probably should have thought of that before you told her how much her voice annoyed you. 

SHAUN: (RETHINKING THE PREVIOUS CONVERSATION AS HE SPEAKS) I said it… didn’t bother me. It was a compliment.

JORDAN: What heard was you criticizing her voice. And you bringing her mother into it…. You’re in trouble. (LOOKS AROUND, A LITTLE NERVOUSLY, BEFORE WALKING AWAY FROM THE TRUTH BOMB SHE JUST SET OFF)




3) Lea's office (YAY! She has an office now!), presumably not long after the previous scene

SHAUN: (TENTATIVELY ENTERING) Are you mad at me?

LEA: (GLARES AT HIM, NO RESPONSE)

SHAUN: I said your voice doesn’t bother me. It was a compliment.

(He's repeating what he told Jordan earlier)

LEA: Actually, what you said is that you love my breasts so much that with the help of noise-canceling headphones, you’re willing to put up with my annoying voice.

(Even if Shaun was neurotypical (NT), he could have said what he said and she’d interpret it this way. This isn’t his fault as much as it is her insecurities in overdrive: "So you want my body, but maybe you don’t want the rest of me…")

(I think she’s read too much into his words at this point, but perception is reality, so it doesn't matter.)

SHAUN: (RELIEVED, NODS) Yes.

(But then again, he thinks he’s been heard properly. An NT guy might have said at this point “that’s not what I meant,” but for Shaun, what he says and what he means are synonymous. Lea knows this.)

LEA: Not a compliment!

(Being clear. Also not patronizing him, which remains part of what makes her awesome.)

SHAUN (NO LONGER RELIEVED) Oh… so you are mad at me?

(Fair question. She never answered him the first time he asked.)

LEA (TALKING MUCH FASTER NOW): I’m not mad, Shaun, I’m just busy, trying to keep, like, a billion bots and hackers out of our network.(RECONSIDERS) Actually no, not doing that… I’m gonna go home.

(She denies anger, but the way she’s talking indicates something’s still wrong. Nonetheless, Shaun only seems to hear “I’m not mad.”)

SHAUN: You want to have some tequila, stat? We also have some pizza left.

(He thinks he’s found a way to resolve this.)

(NOTE: Let’s see if Tommy Moran finds a way to work “Tequila, stat!” into every TGD script on which he writes. Last time he got it in before this was “Friends & Family.”)

LEA: No, I don’t want tequila. Or pizza.

(He realizes has NOT found a way to resolve this after all.)

SHAUN: That must mean you’re mad.

LEA: (PREPARING TO PASS SHAUN ON HER WAY OUT) I’m just… upset. And… confused. And I really don’t think there IS anything you can do about it, so you just need to stop trying, and… leave me alone. 


(
As she indicates, her emotions are more complex than simply being mad. She’s upset and confused BECAUSE she “really doesn’t think there IS anything he can do about it”… this is the very kind of thing that made her question being in a relationship with Shaun. This kind of thing may happen again and again. And this is a relatively minor problem! How will she handle the bigger stuff? She wonders)


4) Scan room where all partial discussions of TGD personal problems begin (!!), next day. Shaun and Park are doing the scanning, but we join them after Shaun has apparently recounted the previous scene's dialogue to Jordan, Enrique, and John (even though John couldn't care less, as he made clear). 

SHAUN: She’s not mad at me.

JORDAN: She’s definitely mad at you.

SHAUN: She doesn’t usually hide what she thinks.

ENRIQUE: She’s not mad at him… she knows how he is, and how he talks…

(This gets Shaun’s attention; it makes more sense to him. He turns around in his chair to look at Enrique.)

ENRIQUE: She’s mad at herself, and scared… we all have stuff we’re insecure about. That’s why it’s so risky falling in love. We hope that when we let our guard down, it’s for the one person that doesn’t see our flaws.

(Shaun’s writing in his mental Book-of-Love again.)

SHAUN: So what do I do?

ENRIQUE: You were being honest! Can’t apologize that away. You’ve gotta figure out what she needs to feel secure in the relationship again.

(This must be what Shaun interprets later as “can’t say negative things to a girlfriend." Also, this is probably confusing advice to Shaun in that it implies he “can’t apologize his honesty away.” So should he be sorry or not?)


5) Shaun and Glassman do a walk-and-talk down a hospital corridor.

SHAUN: I thought telling her how much I love her in front of other people would make her feel good… but Dr. Guerin said I made her feel insecure… and scared.

(Interesting! Shaun equated that whole cafeteria conversation as a proclamation of his love for her.) 

GLASSMAN: Women are sensitive when commenting on their flaws… total honesty is a high-risk procedure.

SHAUN: That sounds sexist. Aren’t men also insecure about their flaws?

GLASSMAN: Men are much, much worse. And also we’re really stupid.

(At home, I LOL at this line, especially knowing two men wrote it.)

SHAUN: Okay, what can I do now? I’ve already said my stupid stuff… I don’t want her to be upset with me.

GLASSMAN: (TAKES A MOMENT)… I have a thought. (WALKS OFF CAMERA. SHAUN FOLLOWS, LOOKING HOPEFUL)



6) Shaun and Lea in another corridor later that day; she appears to be on her way home.

SHAUN: I… think I’m sorry.

(I’m assuming that—total honesty intact—he still doesn’t do well with regret. Remember how long it took him to tell Lim he was sorry last year in “45 Degree Angle”…? But he knows he needs to apologize, even if he didn’t think he did anything wrong.)

(Nonetheless, this got a skeptical look from Lea.)

SHAUN: Dr. Guerin said I should never say anything that might sound negative to a girlfriend, and Dr. Glassman said total honesty is a high risk procedure with a girlfriend... it’s better to show my love than try to explain it. But, I want to be totally honest with you.

 (Ahem. Dr. “Boardshorts” Guerin actually said You’ve gotta figure out what she needs to feel secure in the relationship again, so it’s interesting that Shaun interprets it this way. On the other hand, he quoted Glassman's words verbatim… but we weren’t privy to the actual advice Glassman gave this time. Again, I feel like a scene was deleted here but I hate defaulting to that every time I feel we're missing information. In any case it doesn’t matter… Shaun’s about to do what he does best, but do it much better than before. If, um, you can follow that.)

(Also, Lea looks more hopeful now.)

SHAUN: I don’t like your body because it’s excellent, I like it because it’s yours.


(Lea's eyes say "Keep talking…")

SHAUN: And I love hearing you talk. When I hear your voice, especially when I’ve had a difficult day, I find it comforting.

(Notice he said he LIKES her body but he LOVES hearing her talk. Also, he manages to differentiate between hearing her talk and the sound of her voice.)

(Lea's eyes now say "Wow. I'm sold.")

SHAUN: Now I want to hug you. Can I?

LEA: (AS THE TENSION DROPS OUT OF HER INSTANTANEOUSLY) 

I’d like that.

SHAUN (AS HE HOLDS HER): I love you.

LEA: Thank you… for your total honesty.

 


(The key to understanding the beauty of this scene, to me, is twofold. Part one comes in appreciating how Shaun has assimilated the advice given to him in a way that makes the most sense to him: he’s staying with words of honesty, but he’s put much more thought into it this time. And part two comes in Lea’s ability to trust that if she listens closely to what Shaun says—especially in NON off-the-cuff moments like this—she’ll remember why she’s here, in love, in this relationship with him.)

(The result of both efforts, of course, is brutal honesty turned beautiful… and rewarded appropriately.)

🍏🏎🍏🏎🍏

BUT… why didn’t Lea say “I love you” back (some have asked)? Is that some kind of tip-off that the relationship is in trouble despite the happy ending of “Newbies”?

All I know is that the only time these two have said the “L” word at the same time, thus far, was the very first time the words were said at all (in “Autopsy” last season). No one questioned Shaun’s love for Lea at the end of the “I Love You” episode; likewise, no one needs to question Lea’s love now. Personally, I think the writers thought it was more important in that moment to show Lea’s appreciation for Shaun’s “total honesty” than tack on a standard ILY response.

BUT… that scene should have ended with a tender kiss! Was it another hug like last week because of COVID restrictions? Are we EVER going to see them kiss this season??

Aw, guys, I don’t know. I want to see them as affectionate as possible too, but I presume that decision is entirely up to Freddie Highmore, Paige Spara, and perhaps the Powers-That-Be with TGD. Maybe they’ll save all their kissing for one particular scene in one particular episode, here and there, when it feels most essential. Maybe creativity will reign supreme somehow.

Hard to believe we’re at a point where #Shea hugs feel a little like a letdown, isn’t it? 

(But only a little.)


What did YOU think of #Shea in "Newbies"? Hit up the comments with your thoughts!

12 comments:

Tony said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Kelli. And as always, for the great material!

(Mini-rant):
Sometimes, when I look at Facebook or YouTube comments, it's like I'm seeing the comments for another show! I'm sure Twitter is the same way; Instagram is not as bad in my limited experience.

Seeing things like 'Shaun and Lea are BACK together' or "on-again, off-again" or "She said 'thanks' to his 'I love you' which means she doesn't feel it." Ummm, this isn't The Big Bang Good Doctor or Medical FRIENDS.

One particularly egregious comment was "uggg, not this again! I skipped the episodes where they were dating before" - which tells me that either (a) they've seen every single episode through the end of Season 3; or (b) they haven't seen ANY episodes, since they clearly don't know what they're talking about!
(end Mini-Rant)

Now to the good stuff!

I was actually quite impressed with the way the conflict in this episode was handled. First, from the onset in the cafeteria. A great leadership technique - which also proves effective for personal interactions - is "praise publicly, criticize privately". This is exactly what Lea did with Shaun in this episode!

And better yet, she didn't even criticize him in that second scene! She calmly - yet truthfully - explained her thought and feelings, and asked for some time alone. And better, BETTER yet, Shaun gave her the space she needed. Nothing said/done that they didn't mean or that they regret. THAT shows serious growth since just late last season, and the commitment Shaun and Lea have both made to that growth.

I enjoyed that last scene. And in my mind, what Shaun and Lea said to each other was what each of them needed to hear the most in that particular moment. Lea needed to know that Shaun loves her, for her. And Shaun needed to know that one of the core aspects of his being - his total honesty - was, in fact, appreciated.

My basic response to anyone questioning the intent of love after the last exchange: RELAX! I watched that last scene several times, and nothing in it - based on the facial reactions and the body language - indicated to me a hesitation about love.

Just as a reminder about how the love is there (and I know I'm preaching to the choir here), consider what Lea had done in just the three episodes prior to this one:
- Waited all night outside of a building, foregoing her own medical attention, to keep communication with Shaun
- Ran into an unstable building near the end of the night, valuing his life above her own
- Tended to his emotional AND his physical needs during their long time apart. Including identifying signs of personal discomfort, and going out of her way to research and deliver a solution to his ear pain
- Waited MONTHS to see him in-person again; talking twice-daily; and went above and beyond with 3 straight days of COVID tests, ALL to ensure that he'd feel safe

Questioning love?? PLEASE!!! And if anyone still questions her intelligence and professional motivation, then what does that say about Glassman, who made Lea his HEAD of IT!!

(and yes, I loved that office space - including some boxes in the background that still had yet to be unpacked)

With only 2 more episodes to go before the winter break, and some BEAUTIFUL promo pictures for Episode 5 (as well as an intriguing plot in the Episode 4 synopsis), I anticipate plenty of great moments in these next 10 days!

Amy D said...

I wasn't let down or disappointed at all. The reality is that COVID has changed everything, and TGD has always been and will always be a medical show first and foremost, so we're not going to get Shaun and Lea make-out sessions in every episode. They're together, they're in love with each other, they're fully committed to each other, and in that wonderful interview Freddie gave yesterday, he said, "Shaun and Lea coming together in life as a unit, & learning to navigate the world together....Those deeper, more nuanced moments of connection between the two...will be exciting to explore." Not getting to see them kiss because of COVID is a minor detail when I stack it up against that broad statement straight from Freddie himself. And I say that their last scene in "Newbies" is one of "those deeper, more nuanced moments of connection between the two" of them, and I was definitely excited to see it and very happy with it.

Shaun and Lea aren't the type of people that are going to say "I love you" to each other 15 times an episode. My take is that Shaun told Lea he loves her because it was important to him that she know that in no uncertain terms--to neurotypical me, it was the icing on the cake after he told her that he likes her body not because it's excellent but because it's her (contrast this with how undone Shaun became over Carly having an incomplete tattoo last season if you want to, as it further illustrates the point that for Shaun, loving Lea is about loving the whole person, not just the physical/external part of her and not just because they're having sex now), and that he loves hearing her talk, and her voice is comforting to him after he's had a difficult day.

Lea responded with "Thank you for your total honesty" precisely because she DOES love Shaun, and he had just very sweetly, and very totally honestly, taken away her insecurities. That was the big takeaway for her in that moment, and also an excellent callback to S1. "Tequila, stat" was the obvious callback to S1. "Thank you for your total honesty" instantly reminded me of Lea telling Shaun in S1, "You're the only honest guy I know. Don't start lying to me to make me feel good."

Also, I related to Lea very personally re: the hurt and upset and confusion she felt over Shaun's comment about her adenoidal voice on the phone with her mother. That's obviously something that she's been criticized about before, so she's sensitive to it. She wasn't expecting to hear it from Shaun, and she knows he's totally, sometimes brutally, honest, and it hurt. She didn't think he'd criticize her for that, the way others have done. And Shaun respecting Lea's boundaries when she said she needed to be alone...These two are growing, both together and as individuals, and it's beautiful to see.

Amy D said...

It is also entirely plausible, to me at least, that Lea's voice only gets adenoidal when she's talking to her mother, because this is the first time we've heard about Mama Dilallo in series history--Grandpa Rod, yes, brother Donny, yes--and Lea's obviously been on the phone with her mom because she's had a lot of news to share lately: "I survived the earthquake. I have a great new boyfriend and it's really serious. I'm taking care of myself during the pandemic. I got promoted to the head of the IT department at work." Lea might have spent a lifetime seeking her mother's approval and never feeling like she's gotten it, so without even meaning to, her voice takes on a certain pitch or tone when she's talking to her mother because even though she's 30ish, she still wants what she's wanted since she was a little girl: her mother's approval. And she probably still feels like she doesn't have it, and despairs of ever figuring out how to get it.

I also noticed Lea's office space and the boxes. I'm hoping one of those boxes has a picture of her and Shaun together preferably, or at least a photo of just Shaun, for her to display on her desk.

They've been building up to this for 3 years. And there's no rush. We're getting quality Shaun and Lea content, and I'm really enjoying it. This is what we've waited for, this is our time to revel in Shaun and Lea being together at last. Limitless possibilities for them abound!

Kelli Lawrence said...

I meant to put somewhere in my post that I was intrigued by the fact that Shaun made the comment about Lea's mom. I thought the conversation might later bend to what you're talking about, Amy-- that there might be a particular reason why Lea's voice goes up a pitch (or whatever) when she's talking to Mama D on the phone. I thought there might be a little reveal, there, about the nature of Lea's relationship with her mom (which we haven't heard about yet, as you indicated).

It didn't go that route this time, but I'd like to think it was a seed planted for the future :)

Tony said...

I like your take, Amy, about the conquest of a parent's approval. Especially when the child is already quite accomplished! And I think they can do it differently than how they've handled the imperfect mothers of Shaun (neglect and/or denial); Claire (substance abuse and bipolar disorder); Morgan (success in a different field); and Lim (TBD, but we know there's some hesitation) without it becoming TOO repetitive.

And Kelli, that was a great observation. I was quick on the take as well, figuring that would be one of those "small bits" of Lea's overall story we'd be getting over the course of time. As long as those bits keep coming, I'm game!

Here's one more compliment about Lea, that might have flown under the radar. Remember what got the whole "TMI" talk (and later argument) going? Lea's remark to Dr. Allen, trying to relate to her, calm her nerves as a newbie, and assure her that she wasn't a bad person for advocating against breast surgery.

Andreas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andreas said...

Excellent insights again, Kelli. You give me some new ideas looking at the episode. It is an interesting observation that Lea begins to overshare like Shaun at the cafeteria.

We have already seen Lea gleam by Shaun’s praise of their sex life towards Park and Kellan in 401 “Frontline Part One”, but this takes it a step further because she joins Shaun in disclosing very personal information.

My first thought on this was that Lea might seek the public appreciation because of her self-esteem issues; and while I will not rule that out completely, there might be an additional factor at play here: early indication of Lea and Shaun getting into sync. Lea mimicked Shaun’s posture at the end of 402 “Frontline Part Two”, now she starts to act like him. This comes with Freddie Highmore saying that “they’re going to have to learn to navigate life as a unit” (torontosun.com). Here, we might very well witness the early stages of Shaun and Lea becoming said unit – and just as Tony noted, they handled this conflict way more mature than previous incidents.

By the way, Lea acting more like Shaun is a funny idea, although Glassy and Morgan might dread the prospect of having to deal with two of one kind… :)

Amy, good theories on why Lea might talk to her mother and why her voice would change by then, I thought so, too! ;) Also, this might mean that some Dilallo-family drama is about to unfold soon.

Totally off-topic, yet as we were talking about inspirations for TGD stories: some might remember that I contributed a music piece from the animation picture “Mary & Max” to the Shea songs, Well, I re-watched 207 “Hubert” yesterday and it struck me that Hubert the Fish and his fishbowl have an amazingly similar counterpart in the 2009 movie. Here, autistic character Max owns several Goldfishes named Henry VIII+x, which meet their untimely end in the most absurd ways. It is in the realm of possibility that Hubert’s creator David Renaud took some inspiration from “Mary & Max”.

MelanieMeirr said...

Hello. I am new here. I have been with you for a few weeks and I am surprised at the depth of your comments and perception. Especially for Andreas, I love his comments! My English is not good, it’s actually bad. But I would like to share my thoughts. It’s like I’m at home in a circle of friends who understand me by sharing a cup of tea. Well, I am frustrated with the large amount of "hateful" couple Shaun and Lea. A couple who are not understood and very judged.

I have been following the show since last year and have noticed the evolution that Shaun and Lea have had since the first season. Although, in my opinion, season three has left all this behind and I confess that watching was a sacrifice for me.


Lea is judged for not telling you that I love you, is judged for encouraging her boyfriend to have phone sex. Anyway. I think they forget that an autistic individual has his or her sexual needs, like any other human being. As well as, the desire to love and to feel loved. I am surprised by some comments and full century that we live.
There were only three episodes and I’m surprised by the beautiful scenes of SHEA that the writers presented to us. I think all I need is the kiss and I hope to see you from now until the end of the season, even with the restrictions of COVID.

Unknown said...

Hey!!! I loved the post but just know have some time to give a few insights. I think that the episode from last Monday marks a sort of beginning in the whole Shea story towards the committed relationship we have been expecting after all the interviews we have heard and read. Things are going to develop slowly and even tho I love the idea, because we get to see details of this growth, it is also a double side weapon in my opinion. People expect more from them, I think that the issue is the intimate contact at the end of season 3, I know I know... This was a very climax moment, but it's weird now to see them so passion less? after that love demonstration. But, I trust this is because, like I said before, the show is just starting its season... Things will develop eventually and we will see them more and more (I hope so, well judging by the beautiful promo pics I think I'm not wrong) and we will be able to see more of them as a couple in love, more than disagreements, more connection moments, as Freddie said.
Regarding the scene with Glassy I felt the same that something was missing, I was expecting Shaun to go big and even tho I really liked the way he decided to resolve everything because it was under his own terms, it felt like there was something else in terms of plot.
Taking Andreas words about mimicking, in fact there are studies on the subject. When couples are really entrenched tend to mimic each other with their words, or gestures. Actually, I noticed one of this recently. Lea tends to slowly press her lips when she hears something and she tries not to interfere but wants to, for example when Shaun showed the autopsy for Hubert she looked at him and did this. Now Shaun did the same thing when Jordan Allen called on Andrews at his office. It's subtle and a detail but I don't remember seeing him doing it before so it could be in the same direction.

I think that the only thing that is missing for them as a couple now is a kiss, many would agree with this. And even tho, I'm truly content with only them hugging as we have seen it in pictures I would be lying if I don't say that I also expect a passionate kiss, something to remind us the beauty of their intimacy. Although, I trust that maybe they will find other ways to show this.

Anyway, can't wait for tomorrow's episode and of course for another post in this wonderful #Shea space.

Much love, Vale.

Kelli Lawrence said...

I'm jumping into the comments --again-- to wave and say WELCOME, MELANIE!

I'm not sure what your native language is, but I think your English is better than you realize... thanks so much for the kind words, and for sharing your thoughts. I love the idea of this being a circle of friends discussing Shaun & Lea with a cup of tea! :)

Yes, I think most readers would agree that Shaun and Lea are misunderstood by many a fan of the show. Some seem put off by Shaun's ASD, some by Lea in general, and of course there are STILL those who will never accept Shaun and Lea moving forward when Claire and Melendez cannot. It's very frustrating, especially sorting through all the negative comments in search of more supportive words. That's one of many reasons why I'm happy to share this space with all of you!

Andreas said...

It makes me somewhat sad that we feel the need for a “save space” for people appreciating an ASD/NT romance in Prime Time TV. Nonetheless, welcome to the flock, MelanieMeirr! Fill up your cup. :)

Perhaps it’s a symptom of the times we’re living in; a time that conditioned many to think in extremes concerning morals and world view. Climate change, politics, veganism – either you’re with us or against us. And if you’re not with us, you’re a racist, fascist, a destroyer of the worlds.

People that are used to think in those dichotomies, who feel the need to virtue signal at every single social media post for their fear of being excluded from humanity, those might have difficulties to accept that characters such as Shaun and Lea are neither only good or only bad but operate in a complex world of nuances and conflicting motives.

And it is a bitter irony that people who try hard to be seen as liberal and progressive, to value diversity … ultimately fail their own moral standards in treading a neurodivergent character and his neurotypical girlfriend. The masks are coming off a lot lately.

Unknown said...

I will love to inform you about a great herbal medicine man in Africa now as (Dr Odiagbe) and his herbal product he is capable of curing disease infection mostly Common in the U.S.A. and all over the world. I will love to share with others who are suffering from the same symptoms. Herpes, Cancer. Chronic lower respiratory disease, Alzheimer's disease. Diabetes, Influenza and pneumonia. Kidney disease. hepatitis A&B, CROHN'S DISEASE and he can also bring back your ex . You can contact him via WhatsApp (+2349011108005 ) or email him via (Drodiagbeherbalhome82@gmail.com)
@dr odiagbe  
His Website: https://drodiagbeherbalhom.wixsite.com/drodiagbeherbalhome