Friday, May 15, 2020

#SHEA Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist, Volume 1: Tracks 1-5



THANKS SO MUCH to everyone who has suggested songs thus far for the Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist thus far!

To any readers still thinking about suggestions, or actively working on a list: I’m eager to see what you’ve got, but there’s no deadline here. Send them to me whenever you’re able (see THIS PAST POST for more details). BTW, I don’t necessarily share them in the order received…

Because… I’m trying to compile posts about the playlist by category. This post, for instance, is devoted more to music that speaks more to Shaun and Lea in general (at least up to the end of Season 3) than to a particular place in #Shea time.

Without further ado…!


SONG: “One Thing” by Gabe Dixon
Songwriter: Gabe Dixon
Submitted by: Faghost

Comments (from me): really beautiful, simple piano ballad… the later verses don’t really apply yet, but the chorus reminds me of the “catapult” concept…

SAMPLE LYRIC:
Sometimes one thing means everything
Something one thing means everything
So many roads, one leads you home
Can't see it if your eyes are closed
That one thing could be everything I need


**

SONG: “Crash and Burn” by Savage Garden
Songwriters: Darren Hayes/Daniel Jones
Submitted by: Tony Payne (seconded by Amy Danko)

Comments from Tony/Sample lyrics:

“Although not quite as popular as their big hits Truly Madly Deeply and I Knew I Loved You, I love how this song captures the mutual, symbiotic nature of Shaun and Lea’s relationship... a relationship which has seen the two be there for each other, just when they needed that companionship the most.

“This song begins with an offer of assurance:

VERSE 1 (portion):
When you feel all alone
And the world has turned its back on you
Give me a moment, please
To tame your wild, wild heart


“And the chorus, which contains the song title – and the companionship:

Let me be the one you call
If you jump, I’ll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash, then crash and burn
You’re not alone


“It’s Shaun and Lea’s ability to comfort, assure, balance, and reinforce each other that makes me such a huge fan of their relationship – and of this song for their relationship.”


**

SONG: “More” by Harry Connick, Jr. (originally written for 1962 Italian doc Mondo Caine)
Songwriters: Riz Ortolani/Nino Oliviero/Marcello Ciorciolini (adapted into English by Norman Newell)
Submitted by: Amy Danko



Comments from Amy: “Because Shaun and Lea make each other ‘more’.”

Comments from me: But WAIT, there’s MORE! (see what I did there)
“More” was originally written as an instrumental piece for the 1962 Italian documentary Mondo Caine. The lyrics came a little later; the English lyrics came a little later than that. It has been recorded by everyone from Frank Sinatra to Roy Orbison to Glen Campbell to the Supremes to Bobby Darin to The Rascals…! And the version Amy’s submitting was recorded for Connick’s 2004 album Only You.

Sample Lyrics
Longer
Than always is a long, long time,
But far beyond forever,
You'll be mine.
I know I've never lived before,
And my heart is very sure
No one else could love you more.



**
SONG: “Better” by SYML (aka Brian Fennell)
Songwriter: Brian Fennell
Submitted by: Angelica (Seconded by Andreas)

Comment from me: This selection is largely inspired from Sheree-Lynn Blizzard’s tribute video to #Shea featuring this song. We’ll be talking more about Blizzard’s contributions as the summer progresses… in short, check her out on YouTube because she’s awesome.

Comment from Angelica: “(Sheree’s video is) an early look at #shea and only features scenes from season one and two. But, in my opinion, the song and video captures the very essence of #shea and is well worth the watch.”


Comment from Andreas: “The lyrics (from ‘Better’) summarize all the relationship from 1.3 (“Oliver”) until the season 3 finale from Shaun’s POV.”

Sample Lyrics:

You came into the picture like a natural
You were unexpected, got me spiritual
I don't wanna say it, but maybe it was fate
And I cannot contain it…

Love can terrify, love can start a fire
Holding on tonight, we're burning like a lighter
Everything inside us burning with desire, now


**

SONG: “I Like Me Better” by Lauv (aka Ari Leff)
Songwriter: Ari Leff/Michael Matosic
Submitted by: Rose Amelie

(So we’ve got a “more” song, a “better” song, and an additional “better” song… yes, I'm aware of it!)

Comment from Rose Amelie:
“This theme represents the classic #Shea confession: "You make me more". Why? let´s see the lyrics:

Damn, I like me better when I'm with you
I like me better when I'm with you
I knew from the first time, I'd stay for a long time 'cause
I like me better when
I like me better when I'm with you



“In the ‘I Love You’ episode finally we see Lea accepts that she is in love with Shaun, but most important: she started to understand that she is important for Shaun, and it doesn`t matter what she believes from herself (selfish, needy...) he still loves her. For the first time (I think) she feels really loved and accepted. Lea now knows: she´s more (and better) with Shaun.  P.S.: The song says ‘New York City’. For #Shea fans, that will change to ‘San Jose City’.

And FUN FACT: Paige Spara is featured in the official Lauv music video for the song.”

Comment from me: To be totally honest, I wasn’t a big fan of this song when it came out… melodically it didn’t hit me just right, I guess. But it’s growing on me now, especially when I think how it relates to #Shea. And Spara is lovely to watch in the video; several fans on Twitter have mentioned watching the clip and imagining Shaun/Freddie Highmore in the guy’s role. Not a bad idea…!

Here’s the official clip (and yes, that's Paige in the thumbnail):


We’ll stop there for now. I intend to post about contributions to the Playlist every couple of weeks or so, so stay tuned for another installment later in the month!

 Do any of these songs resonate with your feelings about Shaun and Lea? Please feel free to talk about it (AS WELL AS OTHER SONG SUGGESTIONS) in the comments!

5 comments:

Amy D said...

I knew all of these songs except the first one, "One Thing."

Thanks for doing this, Kelli! We're going to have the most EPIC playlist by the time we're all done, months from now. :-)

Tony said...

Great first song set, Kelli! I like your approach of grouping them by theme/idea. It was great listening to some classics, mixed in with some songs from just a few years ago.

As a fan of the Billboard charts, I enjoy how "I Like Me Better" is an oddity - having taken over a year from its release to peak in the Top 10 on the Pop Radio chart. A record-holder for it length of climb! To put it in perspective, it was released before a single TGD episode aired; and it peaked while we were getting ready for Season 2 and knowing that Paige had been promoted to series regular.

Just like the line "I knew from the first time / I'd stay for a long time" implies a sense of destiny, the song itself carries a bit of destiny due to its slow climb, timing of its peak, and featured actress in the video. I know the video would still be there without the song having become a hit, but its reach/impact would have been FAR smaller - and may not have caught the attention of the Shea fandom.

I considered including it in my initial 6-pack. But I figured the Paige connection would make it too much of an "easy target", like "Islands in the Stream" would have been due to the latter song's in-show use. It's great to see there are still people making the connection! And yes, as excellent as Paige is in that video, I'd rather see a Shea tribute - or just listen to the song - if I'm in a "Shea mood".

Kelli Lawrence said...

Another thing we have in common Tony... I'm a Billboard Hot 100 Geek :)... I used to go study the charts at the library (periodicals section), and now I try to keep up with the online edition. So I, too, was intrigued by the sleeper-hit story of "I Like Me Better".

BTW, I'm eventually going to try to assemble a list of direct-from-TGD Shea songs (such as "Islands") in addition to our Playlist. (In other words, no need for anyone to suggest "Super Bass"... it'll be represented at one point or another!)

CosmicLightning113 said...

Good point, Tony. I thought of "I Like Me Better" too but also knew it might come off as low hanging fruit since Paige was in the music video. Glad to see to see you guys don't seem to discriminate with these suggestions, no matter how on the nose they end up being. xD

In case any of you are interested there've been Shea tribute music videos made on YouTube using that song made in the vein of Sheree-Lynn Blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGxggYSNimI

Andreas said...

I’ve got another song…

Where My Heart Will Take Me by Russell Watson

https://youtu.be/zuf1KuibAeY

The lyrics of this song describe Shaun and Lea after the last scene of season 3, taking off to season 4 with the best hopes for their future:

It's been a long road/ Getting from there to here/ It's been a long time/ But my time is finally near/ And I can feel the change in the wind right now/ Nothing's in my way/ And they're not gonna hold me down no more/ No, they're not gonna hold me down/

It took almost 3 years, but Shaun and Lea finally dare to love each other. Shaun does no longer listen to others but to his heart. Lea isn’t held back by her self-doubt anymore.

'Cause I've got faith of the heart/ I'm going where my heart will take me/ I've got faith to believe/ I can do anything/ I've got strength of the soul/ And no one's gonna bend or break me/ I can reach any star/ I've got faith/ I've got faith, faith of the heart

They are listening to their hearts now and took a leap of faith as Amy likes to call it (Shaun in 3.16, Lea in 3.20). The possibilities now are endless just as the universe.

It's been a long night/ Trying to find my way/ Been through the darkness/ Now I finally have my day/ And I will see my dream come alive at last/ I will touch the sky/ And they're not gonna hold me down no more/ No, they're not gonna change my mind

Both have been wandering in the dark for long: Lea’s previous relationships did not last long, Shaun had to discover what love means in the first place in seasons 1/2. They did hurt each other badly. Again, Shaun’s workmates and even patients (3.18/19-20) as well as Lea’s doubts worked against this love, but they won’t listen to them anymore.

The following strophes can be interpreted very similar.

On a side note this was the theme song of Star Trek Enterprise, obviously. With late Dr. Melendez revealing that he had been a Trekker, this is also a nod to this character, just as SENT THE RAIN (TO EVERYONE) on show.