Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Five More TEB Mini-Observations and a Link You Might Like

A few more quick notables to put out there regarding last week’s GP opener, and then on to Evgeny’s World… oops, I mean Rostelecom Cup.

The One We Didn’t See Coming: out of absolutely nowhere, Inoue and Baldwin not only created a lovely throw triple axel, but created perhaps the best one they’ve ever done in competition. Too bad it wasn’t enough for a medal, but, um, some successful SBS triple toes might help next time… (Yeah, Baldwin, I’m looking at you.)

The Music (Make it Stop!): I’m sorry, but after only one listen I’m ready to retire Mao Asada’s FS choice (Bells of Moscow). From what I’ve read they went “heavy” with the music intentionally. All I can say is I hope there’s no occasion where Asada’s program is followed immediately by Joubert’s new FS (to Ancient Lands)…viewers would feel so bogged down by the end of the latter, they wouldn’t be able to stand up straight to leave the room.

The Costume: Yukari Nakano’s costume was one of the most colorful, interesting takes I’ve seen for Firebird in quite some time. It’s right here as the Clip of the Day if you haven’t seen it yet.

The Character: If anyone’s ever been suited to do a Chaplin number, it’s Nobunari Oda. So charming! Such deep knees! Such confident edges! Such a hard decision as to which Japanese man is my favorite!

The Look Ma No Hands: As amazing as that Virtue/Moir balancing act was, did you see the way she exited that maneuver? Beyond belief…

Finally, on a slightly related note—IceNetwork.com gave us this nice piece about David Pelletier’s chance run-in during TEB with Marie-Reine Le Gougne (the one who admitted to being pressured to place Sale/Pelletier second in 2002’s Winter Olympics).

Rostelecom predictions coming Thursday--!

4 comments:

Aaron said...

The lift you are referencing from Virtue and Moir...crazy. That has to be the most inventive lift I seen in a while.

Kate said...

I agree, that lift is magic! So pleased we get to see it again. My jaw dropped when I saw that dismount.

Sharon said...

I hated Asada's music, too. It was so depressingly heavy and completely not her style. And it just went on and on and on...

I couldn't help it, I got choked up when I read that article on Pelletier and the judge.

Laura said...

Thanks for pointing out that article, very interesting. And love your observations, especially about the heaviness of Asada's music. Ugh.