Monday, August 23, 2021

#Shea Altar-Bound, part 1: The Wedding Wish Lists

It seems they've stood...





And talked... 

... Like this before





I have to confess that I’ve a couple larger than usual distractions holding up this post. One is becoming increasingly typical this time of year for me-- for us-- as my husband Dan and I helped move our firstborn back to Purdue for year THREE as a network engineer major. It’s not a very long journey; just a few ticks over an hour, and aside from a handed-down sofa that had to be stuffed through some uncooperative doorways (are there any “cooperative” doorways when it comes to moving a sofa?)... there wasn’t much to it this time. 


But next year we have our son in his fourth year of college AND our daughter (the second born/youngest) graduating high school and starting a university adventure of her own, so I know there will be a lot more “to it” in 2022. Which is as it should be, of course. But let’s just say I’m grateful for one more year of preparation.


The other distraction I spoke of actually has to do with this very small corner of the internet you are so kind to visit… I am building a new website! Without getting into much detail, I’ve maintained this blog on Blogger for a looong time and have new things I am (finally) ready to try and do. Don’t worry, State of the #Shea is most definitely continuing… how could it not… #Shea Nation has given me my largest readership (that’s a word, right?) to date! So thank you!


Here’s the thing, though…as my extended stay with Blogger surely proves, I move with extreme caution, especially when it involves technology (and I’m putting this new site squarely in that category whether it truly belongs there or not). So while my current goal is to have parts of the new space “live” ahead of September 27-- which is the season premiere of TGD, for those who hadn’t heard-- I’ve got a lot of learning (and decision-making) to do in the next 5 weeks. It’s pretty overwhelming, but I’ve gotta get it done, you know? 


(Just my sharing this "in public" is daunting, as it means I actually need to carry it through this time and not just talk/think about it.)


So wish me luck, stay tuned for updates, and THANK YOU for helping give me a reason to push this particular boulder up the hill.


🍏🏎👰🤵🍏🏎👰🤵🍏🏎👰🤵


AND NOW… LET’S TALK ABOUT A WEDDING.


Or should I say “Let’s keep talking about a wedding,” since the conversation has continued in some shape or form ever since Lea’s proposal in early June. In fact, when filming on TGD season 5 began this past week, the #Shea Twitterverse freaked and geeked out over three things that felt like hints that Shaun and Lea’s wedding was leading off the entire season:


  1. Paige Spara posting a couple of photos to her IG with hair and makeup done in a way that might suggest they were shooting a formal occasion

  2. Bria Samone Henderson sharing a pic of herself in a purple dress-- a dress one might wear in a formal situation-- on her IG

  3. Additional social media implications that Antonia Thomas (Claire) has been up in Vancouver this week, despite the fact that she departed the series last season


I must admit that, aside from being skeptical about these “hints” (TGD, being misleading with sneak peeks?? Where have I heard that song before?)I was feeling a little bummed. Of course I’m as eager to see the #Shea wedding as you probably are… but… I’m looking forward to some build-up. Maybe not a full season’s worth, but winter finale, maybe? Eh, we’ll get back to that..


Anyway, what could those “hints” be about if not the wedding itself? First thing that came to my mind was engagement celebration… but what are we working with, really? Paige’s straightened hair and perhaps a makeup upgrade? Could be something; could also be a certain look they’re imparting on Lea this season in general. Bria’s dress? Possibly a wardrobe test for a future episode… and it’s worth remembering that there’s all kinds of reasons that Jordan (Bria’s character on the show, now a series regular) might dress up. We don’t know all that much about her, after all…


As for Antonia possibly being there? I’m stumped on that one, but offer the possibility that “Claire” might need to be around for a day or two even if she’s simply being featured in a FaceTime or phone conversation from her new digs in Guatemala-- they wouldn’t have to go off-site in Vancouver to recreate that. 


Oh, one more thing: When the ladies at @EndgameShea tagged Barclay Hope (the actor who played Mike Dilallo last season) in a Tweet this past week, the exchange looked like this: 



Assuming Lea’s dad will attend the #Shea Shindig of the season, whenever it may be… it doesn’t appear that Mr. Hope has been back on the TGD set yet. Unless he’s playing coy about it, or has been instructed not to reveal anything … always a possibility, I guess.


IN ANY CASE, we’ll know a little more as September 27 approaches. 


Oh! I forgot to mention that one more thing that could have been interpreted as a wedding day “hint” was the title of the season premiere episode, which was also revealed this week…


“NEW BEGINNINGS”


Easy to see why this would fire everyone up too, but let’s not forget that the “moving forward” theme spotlighted #Shea but extended many different directions with the S4 finale: #Matlim, #Parnick (did I get those hashtags right???), Andrews, Claire (cue that FaceTime call??)... even no-longer-newbies Dr. Jordan Allen and Dr. Asher Wolke as they settle into year two; even Glassman, assuming he and Debbie will follow through with divorce proceedings. 


My capacity to be wrong remains as high as ever, but that’s my .02 on what we know so far. 


But with this year’s premiere date coinciding with the 24th anniversary of my own wedding, I’ve been mining my memory for issues that crept in-- sometimes loudly stomped in is more like it-- as Dan and I inched ever closer to that day. A partial list: 


  • Guest list debate: “I don’t even know that relative, why do I have to invite them?” 

  • Multiple mama dramas (MY mom… but it worked out OK)

  • Bridesmaid/MOH re-assignment drama (but it, too, worked out OK)

  • Issues with details, specifically wedding veil, reception hall (before and during said reception), and flower girl dresses… which my mom made herself… yes, part of the Mama drama

  • Wedding rehearsal drama (had some no-shows or plane hadn’t arrived yet-shows)

  • Post rehearsal dinner antics (again, see Mama drama)


I should probably add that my mother was, at the time of my wedding, a certified flower show judge and a veteran wedding cake-maker who also had a few years of catering experience. She was brilliant when in her element, but also tended to bite off more than she could chew at times.. (I may circle back to this if it becomes relevant to #Shea matters.)


Could we see anything like this with Shaun? With Lea? With Mama D (Pam)? Or anyone else? Maybe, maybe not. But we know a smooth sail from the Guatemala airport to the wedding altar is out of the question, so let’s see what we have to say thus far about the options… 



WHEN IN SEASON 5 SHOULD THE CEREMONY TAKE PLACE?


The most popular choices I’ve seen land in mid-season-- the winter finale getting the most nods, though I think some have said they’d enjoy a Valentine’s Day wedding. Some still seem excited at the thought of it happening right away; a lesser number are content with waiting till the season finale (or close to it). 


My preference, as I said earlier, would be something mid-season. There are just too many options thrown away if they rush the preparation. Winter finale sounds lovely, but assuming they return to a more “normal” pattern of episodes, would they be sacrificing a mini-cliffhanger if they do it then? Or would something about the wedding BE the mini-cliffhanger…? I’m not crazy about that idea at all… unless it involves something that doesn’t spoil Shaun and Lea’s day. Like, say, new guy Dr. Osma being dragged off to jail at the end of the night when the long-held arrest warrants catch up to him…? Just an idea.


I’d even be OK with an end-of-season wedding bash, except for one thing: what if S5 proves to be TGD’s swan song? Sure, it’d be a great way to go out-- but the greedy #Shea fan in me wants more than a projected Happy Ever After, ASD/NT style. I want to hear Shaun and Lea call each other “husband and wife” as long as possible. And yes, like most of you, I want to see them in at least the early stages of raising a family. If it can only be VERY early stages (with Lea pregnant again, this time carrying to term), I’d take that. But if the ratings, or Freddie, or some other factor determines S5 is TGD’s final season, we’ll likely be denied all those things-- unless the wedding happens earlier in the episodic cycle.




WHERE SHOULD THEY GET MARRIED? CHURCH? SOMEWHERE IN THE HOSPITAL? ELSEWHERE?



I say it’s going to be at the hospital on that balcony they used for the prom dance in season three or that beautiful final dance in the spilled milk episode. --Steven


Pam is the controlling type, she may horn into the conversation and insist on a church. I don't think Shaun would care, but Lea may push back with a vengeance, because mom… (or I'm full of it and maybe Lea wants a traditional wedding in a church). Or, they could have the state deputize someone (Glassy?)-- Juliana

Many of us are associating a church wedding with the Dilallo parents’ (OK, probably just Pam) hijacking any plans Shaun and Lea might conceive on their own. But logistically speaking (for a TV show, anyway), Steven pointed out in the longer version of his answer that a church or other sort of unique location could be a lot harder to pull off. So another recurring idea I’ve seen-- that Lea eventually does away with family wishes, leads with her heart, and has the wedding elsewhere-- seems to suit the needs of the show better anyway.

Some, such as Sheree, fully support the idea of an outdoor wedding-- and we know the production crew has dedicated multiple days to shoots in certain Vancouver-area parks and nature preserves for happenings far less monumental than the wedding of the titular character. Beautiful as I think that could be, I wonder if such a big event would be too expensive if it was weather-contingent. I also wonder if the nature of Shaun’s character would endorse such a plan… he’s a dedicated Weather Channel watcher, so he surely knows the likelihood of rainfall, high winds, excessive heat, etc. in San Jose. If the odds were too high for one or more of those things, he could make a very strong case for an indoor, more climate-controlled environment. (And unless Lea has her heart completely set on it, I suspect Shaun could bring her around to his way of thinking. At least on this matter.)

Juliana mentioned Glassy possibly being deputized by the state to officiate; she also mentioned there could be a revelation that one of the series regulars was ordained at some point by Universal Life Church. If they went that direction, who’s your guess for the job…? I have Lim, Park, and Jordan on my shortlist… (Except Jordan would be ordained in some other fashion, given her background of faith)



WHO WILL ATTEND THE WEDDING?

 

RE: The Attendants… 

 

 I can’t wait to see how they handle the wedding party. Will Glassman be treated like an honorary father of the groom? Or would he be Shaun’s Best Man?  I personally prefer the former, allowing Park to roll into the Best Man spot…

 

Will the show develop a significant Lea-female friendship?  Morgan? Jordan? Even a reference to an off-screen long-time Hershey friend would give us something to look forward to in a Maid of Honor. I’d be disappointed to see the other female regulars as bridesmaids “just because,” but I’d love it if they could earn their spots!  -- TONY

 

I don’t have much to add to this except that if Claire is in attendance, I hope she sings. Maybe during the processional…?

 

RE: Controversial guests…

 

My top possibilities for pot-stirrers are your top possibilities: Shaun’s mother Marcie and Lea’s presumably-still-estranged brother Donnie. I cannot fathom the show skipping a major dramatic opportunity and failing to at least discuss Marcie as a possible guest; whether or not they’d go ahead and actually bring her to the wedding is another story. As for Donnie… I sincerely hope we not only meet Donnie at last, but get him to the wedding (even if he and Lea have reconciled by then, he could still make things interesting). Given that he didn’t merit a mention during last year’s “Parenting” episode, I worry that the writers won’t pursue it/won’t cast him/will hope we’ve forgotten all about him. But I’m the one always reminding us to “trust the writers”... so I should stay positive about this, right?


It's important, IMO, for them to go there (HERSHEY) and to have a sort of  parallel to “Friends and Family,” but Lea's edition so she can solve any issue she might have had in the past to keep growing into her future with Shaun. --VALE




WHAT WILL THE ACTUAL WEDDING DAY BE LIKE?



I’ve seen plenty of wishes for #Shea’s wedding day to be simply the shiny happy celebration they deserve…


The unthinkable will probably happen  (a medical emergency in the middle of the ceremony is the least I can think of). But they have other 19 episodes for that, so... please be nice just for once!-- Daniela

But even Daniela admits, earlier in her comment, that she was “probably delusional” for thinking David Shore and Co. will give everyone a break for the duration of the wedding day.

As for me, my questions circle around the variations they might do on a few TV wedding tropes:

  • How will St. B get incorporated into the wedding? Will there be a mid-ceremony medical emergency, as Daniela offered? Or could one or two St. B’vites be forced to miss the wedding while on-call? (Or will an on-site ceremony eliminate that problem?) 

  • Regardless of location, will either Shaun or Lea (or both) have some sort of delay that results in a frantic and/or amusing hustle to the altar?

  • What (admittedly silly) traditions will be honored… and which will be broken?  Will Shaun “see the bride” ahead of the ceremony, either by accident or because they need to see each other for some reason? Will Lea wear something old/new/borrowed/blue? And maybe the most anticipated one: what will their first kiss as husband and wife look like? (I’m kind of hoping Shaun will “dip” Lea during that kiss-- just me?)

  • I’m also hoping for something that would feel very #Shea to all of us… that both Shaun and Lea are jumping for joy at the ceremony’s end. Actually I hope they jump all the way down the aisle during the recessional, if there is an aisle!

Whoops, getting ahead of myself. I guess it’s time to ask…

 


WHAT WILL THE CEREMONY BE LIKE?


“Lea in a white gown! Please, don’t make her get married in jeans and combat boots…”

-- Daniela


Yeah, we could spend a week just discussing Lea’s dream gown, trying hard not to dwell on the stunning bride look that Paige delivered in that Watermark commercial…





Like Daniela, I hope they go full bridal formal for Lea. Even a cocktail-length dress seems too simple…


Me with the pink
Chuck Taylors at 
my own wedding
in 1997

But as for what shoes to wear: as someone who went with an alternate look for my own wedding, perhaps I should exempt myself from this conversation… 


(I wouldn’t mind boots underneath the gown)


As for Shaun, we all remember that he bought the Armani tux back in Season 1 (for the gala at St. B) after much debate about renting vs. purchasing. I hope this fact either comes up in conversation-- seems Shaun is too practical-minded to wear anything BUT his Armani, knowing how much he spent on it and how few opportunities one has to wear a tux-- OR we simply see him in a tux on the big day and, when comparing it to the one he wore in S1, can “confirm” it’s one and the same. (Though the wardrobe folks on set may be the only ones to know for sure)


The ceremony itself is likely to be relatively short and sweet-- maybe the length of an average “act” of the show (6-7 minutes tops, if we’re lucky?). I know daytime dramas often stretch those ceremonies to take half the hour or longer (at least they used to), but that’s a lot easier to do when you’re on the air five hours a week and have time to burn…


By the way, this need for a short ceremony probably puts another point towards Shaun and Lea having a wedding somewhere other than a church. And for those suspecting Lea’s family roots are Catholic, surely a wedding with a “full mass” (including communion) is out of the question!


Short ceremony or not, I’m hoping that if Claire is there she will sing. Perhaps for the processional?


In any case, I think we’re in agreement on the part of the ceremony we anticipate the most: THOSE VOWS…


The vows are what I am the most excited for just hope the writers have them be "personal" vows and not just generic.  Or a mix of both.  -- Sheree

I so want them to say their own vows, a kind of continuation or reiteration of their "more" statements. – Pamela

Assuming the writers agree, I kind of picture Shaun carefully writing out what he wants to say on a series of index cards-- but then, getting flustered halfway through, tucking them back into his pocket and speaking spontaneously. Part hilariously honest, part heartstring-yanking, ALL earnest Shaun. 



WHAT WILL THE RECEPTION BE LIKE?



I think it’s crossed most #Shea fans’ minds that Shaun might be thrilled by a “big” wedding/reception, no matter where they are held. But several have pointed out that he’s likely to try and accommodate whatever Lea wants in this regard; as long as his friends from St. B are in attendance, he’ll be comfortable enough. 


Really, all we care about are two things. OK, three things (I added one on my own):


  1. Will there be dancing?

  2. Will there be karaoke?

  3. Will we get to see them cut the wedding cake? (Bonus points if the show comes up with a really cool cake-topper… fondant his-and-her toilet paper rolls, anyone?)


There’d BETTER be dancing-- a #Shea first dance, and anything that can follow it (Glassy and Lea, for instance, as Daniela suggested)! When Shaun’s attempt to dance with Lea last season was cut short by her queasiness, we felt cheated. GIVE US A BETTER DANCE MEMORY, PLEASE. Could be “Islands in the Stream” or one of the countless options put forth via YouTube fan videos… just pick one and go with it!


(Does anyone think the show might do a thing where Shaun and Lea do something choreographed? I’ve heard Freddie Highmore can’t really dance at all; that’s what I think would be most adorable about a choreographed piece-- Shaun/Freddie would be trying equally hard to get it right!)


And dang, a karaoke machine seems absolutely mandatory for this shindig doesn’t it? End of discussion. 


A few random reception questions I’ll throw out there:

  • Who will catch Lea’s bouquet (assuming she has one)? Will Lim, Morgan and Jordan all be fighting to NOT catch it, with their arms at their sides, bouncing it off their bodies like a soccer ball? (My God that would be funny, if I do say so myself)

  • Who will drink the most… then say something provocative and regret it later?

  • Will there be receptionus interruptus… something dramatic that grinds the fun to a halt?


That last one brings me to the wild card question…



WHAT “DRAMATIC PAUSES” WILL THERE BE BETWEEN NOW AND THE MOMENT SHAUN AND LEA LEAVE FOR THEIR HONEYMOON (which I hope they get, even if-- sigh-- it all happens off-screen)?


  • Will we get to see Shaun give Lea an engagement ring? If so, how big a deal will be made about it?


He probably wouldn't think of a ring until someone like Park asks him if he's gotten one yet. Then he may obsess about it, asking everyone he meets about where should he get it, what should it look like, etc. When a jeweler asks him about the size, he may go into a tailspin! Good comic material. --Julianna

  • If the question of inviting Marcie Murphy (Shaun’s mom) does surface, as I think it has to, will it be Glassy’s doing? Or Lea’s? Would Shaun possibly declare it himself-- after, say, a particularly gripping medical case that got him thinking about his only surviving blood relative?


  • And regarding Donnie Dilallo (Lea’s brother): Since it seems unlikely we’d get TWO episodes (at least by the time of the wedding) where Lea’s family is featured, will Donnie and Lea’s relationship end up being on display throughout the wedding episode?


  • One issue that I have NOT heard any of #Shea Nation discuss at any length is Lea’s previous marriage/wedding/husband. I think this is due to the fact that the whole matter was downplayed last season once Lea brought it out into the open. And while I don’t anticipate a surprise appearance by the ex-husband, I do wonder how much her previous wedding will impact what Lea wants to do this time… or maybe more to the point, how it will inform Mike and Pam Dilallo’s input. After all, we’ve no idea how elaborate wedding #1 was, though if “everyone expected it” as Lea said I can’t help but think it was more than a trip to the courthouse.


Speaking of Mike and Pam…

A scene between Lea’s parents and Dr. Glassman would be pure gold! I’m sure that I’m not the only one wishing that. But it doesn’t need to happen necessarily at the wedding. Maybe right before would make even more sense. I can already picture it in my head --Daniela


  • I’d be remiss, I suppose, if I skipped over the question of how Shaun’s ASD might factor into things… except that it’s already been discussed in many regards. One lingering question I guess I have is whether or not Shaun might get overwhelmed at some point with the whole thing-- the formalities, or the fact he’s actually marrying this woman he’s loved for so long, or the aspects of the big day itself-- and will need someone (hopefully Lea) to calm him down… cue that seeing-the-bride-before-the-ceremony tradition being broken? But as much as Freddie and Paige would rock such a dramatic moment, I don’t know if they’d go that route. Shaun’s lack of serious meltdowns last season seemed a marking of Shaun’s growth and maturity since we first saw him in 2017. What do you think?



(BEFORE YOU ANSWER, HERE IS BIT MORE INPUT FROM READERS ABOUT THE PENDING NUPTIALS IN GENERAL… and don’t go away just yet; if you keep scrolling you’ll find one more #Shea Interactive Challenge to carry us towards the season premiere)

All that we love about and that define the distinct characteristics of the Shea relationship:   unique, fun, funny, romantic, and heartwarming.  The show needs to treat it as THE big event that it is and what Shea deserves as the central couple and heart and soul of the show, without cliche drama like cold feet or someone stopping the wedding ceremony.  -- Pamela


The main character of the show is getting married so it can't be something like what we saw with Glassy and Debbie for example. I hope they pay attention to details such as the place, Lea's dress and hopefully we will see Shaun giving her an engagement ring. --VALE


They are a young couple with a long life ahead of them. I want that they celebrate that and their love for each other.-- Daniela

David Shore said the writers will have fun with the wedding; there's lots of material to play with! Not to mention the buildup, the honeymoon (road trip!!??), Lea's dress, bridesmaid(s) best man,etc. I can't wait!  -- Julianna

 

YOUR FINAL INTERACTIVE CHALLENGE, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT…

 

OK, so we’ve discussed favorite episodes from S4 and the upcoming S5 wedding, but what about a SEASON 5 WISH LIST? I know it’s kind of hard to separate such a thing from the wedding plans, but we all know this is not the #Shea Show 24/7. What developments would you like to see for other characters? For Shaun and Lea as individuals? Are there any particular medical issues (under-represented or otherwise) or controversies you’d like to see addressed this year? 

If you’ve got such a wish list, please send it to KLawrence997 at gmail dot com!

 


11 comments:

Daniela said...

Thank you, Kelli!
I think that this was one of the most awaited posts this summer: Shea wedding wish list.
Just wow!
And also thank you for sharing some facts and personal information about your own wedding ;) I got married exactly a year later (in 1998), and I can confirm that the previous months were definitely exhausting.

How will Shaun and Lea manage the long planning with their respective demanding jobs? Will they seek help? Will they choose a simple ceremony? Will there be issues between them about who to include in the guests list? We'll see.

I just wish a deserving ceremony, not something too rushed. As I've already said, I do want their love for each other being celebrated in a meaningful way.
About the location, I threw there Glassy's house as a cheap possibility, on Twitter. But it could be simply outside or actually at the hospital, as suggested.

About the guests, as you all already know, I'm not a fan of Shaun's mother, so I'm not so eager to see her again. But, my personal feelings apart, I don't believe that it would make much sense storywise. Season 4 was about change and moving forward, and Shaun has definitely moved forward in regard to his blood family. Lea hates the woman (just think of her words in 3x10), and even Glassy wouldn't make the same mistake a second time.
So, I can definitely see Marcie being brought back at some point, for the sake of drama, but I think that it would happen by chance, not by choice. Definitely, not by Shaun's choice.

About the different roles, I'd love to see Claire come back as a matron of honor.
Like Tony, I think (and hope) that Glassman will be more the 'Father of the groom', as Shore himself said in an interview. And in that case, I'd love to see him interact with the parents of the bride (a lot of fun for sure).
In that case, Park as best man would make a lot of sense. But knowing Shaun, Glassy could definitely fill both roles.

I'd love some dancing after the ceremony, because it would be romantic, but also fun and touching. Just imagine Lea and Glassman dance and Shaun react to it. He almost never saw those two being nice or affectionate to each other. The few times that happened (like in 4x8 Parenting), he wasn't present to witness it. And he would certainly love that.

To conclude, I confirm that the right collocation for the wedding would be the winter finale, in my opinion. Not too far away, but enough time to have some fun with the planning.
Obviously, nothing will be as we are imagining it! LOL

I will send you my season 5 wish list asap, Kelli!

TeeJay said...

Hey there, I'm fairly new to the TGD fandom, and I fell hard for the Shea pairing, so I'll be watching your blog very closely. The show made me rediscovery my love for writing fanfic, and I have so many ideas in my head!

Thanks so much for all your great insights on the two of them, it's awesome to know there are others who care so much.

You mentioned you were thinking about making your own blog or website, did you mean to open one just for TGD and Shea topics? I've found it pretty frustrating that there's so little actual fandom interaction. Except for a number of really cool and supportive contributors, Reddit seems to be mostly a cesspit of trolls and negativity. The one Discord I found barely has any activity beyond new people being welcomed, and Twitter is just not my medium of choice, and I find it very inadequate for meaningful interaction.

On my wishlist would be something like a Wordpress blog where you could have multiple contributors who post their own articles and thoughts, and where people can leave comments and have healthy discussions. It could also have image galleries for fanart, etc. Fanfic recommendations and lists, the works. I'd offer to build one on my own server, but since I'm in Europe and GDPR privacy protection gets really tricky as soon as you open up your site to outside contributors, I'm hesitant to do it. But if you want help or support with anything like that elsewhere, please let me know. I could also help you contribute some things. Not sure what exactly I would write about, but fandom blog writing is not something I'm new to at all.

You can find me on Twitter at @aka_TeeJay (https://twitter.com/aka_TeeJay - though I don't really check Twitter much), or on Reddit with the same name (https://www.reddit.com/user/aka_TeeJay) or just e-mail me at tj_teejay@gmx.net if you'd like to chat more about any online blog stuff. I'm also guessing we're similar in age, since you have college age kids.

In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to following season 5 on a weekly basis. I binged all four seasons recently when Netflix suggested the show to me, so getting a weekly dose will be cool, albeit somewhat frustrating.

Keep up the great work with the blog! Looking forward to reading more!

TeeJay said...

Addendum to my previous comment, I got inspired and set up a simple Wordpress blog that I'll likely use to put my own thoughts together as the show progresses through season 5 (and hopefully onwards).

That said, it would be awesome if I could find some more contributors. If you have or get a Wordpress account, I can easily add anyone to the site who would like to write blog posts there or upload images and make more pages, etc. Not a must, just an offer, and I very much don't wish to encroach on anyone's territory or duplicate efforts.

The Wordpress blog is here: https://youmakememore.wordpress.com/

Julianna said...

It seems my original comment has gone down Blogger's rabbit hole, so I've tried
again and rewritten it. Apologies for the double post if the original pops up.

Wow. Well done, Kelli!

I too think there's too much valuable dramatic material in the leadup to
the wedding to have it at the start of the season. Lots of drama to be
had for the guest list, the venue, reception, the ring(s), Lea's dress,
bridesmaid(s)/MOH, best man, etc. (I vote for Park for the latter.)

I keep thinking of Marcie Murphy; there are so many unresolved
issues there! Glassy has been at least intermittently in touch with her;
he was the one she called when Shaun's father was dying (which tells us
that she was not in touch with Shaun; didn't have his phone
number). I don't think it would be Lea; she was angry at Marcie when she
hurt Shaun yet again. I'm intrigued by your idea of Shaun having a need
to see his mother (and resolve lingering, painful issues) brought on by some event.

As for the vows, I'm all for them writing their own! And I love
the idea of the hyper-organized Shaun carefully writing out his vows on
index cards, then ditching the whole thing and speaking extemporaniously
from the heart! He can be eloquent in his own unique way when he's moved
emotionally. To wit:

"I don't care what happened in Hershey. I care that you care."
and
"I don't love your body because it's perfect. I love it because it's yours."

Eloquence, from the heart.

As for Shaun's ASD, given how he's matured he probably won't have a
meltdown, however uncomfortable he may feel about the whole big wedding
process. He might (and probably will) get upset with Marcie if she's there, but
I think dealing with her will be an important part of his growth.

Lea's family dynamics will be fascinating! Her parents (i.e. Pam)
probably aren't going to be thrilled; Pam's way of dealing with that may
be to be extra bossy, pissing off Lea probably more than Shaun.

I too would love for Claire to be there; surely they'll invite her. It
would be fabulous if she sings!

Amy D said...

I've always thought the hospital chapel would be an ideal place for the Shea wedding, whether they specifically chose it, or it stands as a last-minute substitute because of circumstances beyond their control, like Shaun being pulled into an emergency surgery that went over the allotted time because of complications, or the weather making an outdoor wedding impossible because of rain and/or heavy winds.

If Lea chooses to involve her parents, I'm sure at least her mom will have an opinion on every little thing, much like "Dinosaurs aren't really for girls" in her onesie conversation that made Shaun snap and rightfully point out that girls can like dinosaurs too.

Glassman will be the de facto father of the groom whether or not Shaun's mother shows up. If he tries to lobby for Marcie to be invited, I could see Lea getting angry with him about that, but there's also the possibility for a touching moment between Lea and Glassy, something along the lines of how much Glassman loves Shaun and while he didn't initially think that Lea was right or the best person for Shaun, he knows now that she is, so please don't break Shaun's heart again.

Amy D said...

I think we have three solid candidates for best man as of right now: Glassman; Park; and Asher. Shaun has sort of bonded with Asher despite himself. I offer Shaun lending his presence to Asher after Asher lost his first patient as Exhibit A of that. I'd be fine with any of them serving as best man, actually.

Maid of honor, I think we also have three solid candidates: Claire, if she is able to be at the wedding in person; Lim; and Jordan. And I'd be fine with any of them serving as maid of honor as well.

I like the idea of one of the St. Bonaventurites officiating at the wedding, and again, I've got three candidates in mind: Glassman, for obvious reasons; Lim, if she's not the maid of honor; and Morgan. Yes, Morgan. If the Shea wedding turns out to be a St. B. family affair, Morgan officiating would be great. She's long established as the most cynical and sarcastic of all the doctors--it's true that Glassman is a class A curmudgeon, but we know he loves Shaun like a son. Morgan has slowly, over these past 4 years, opened herself up to others: she had Claire's back in the aftermath of Claire's mother's death, she has totally changed her opinion of Shaun and become a friend to him (remember, when we met Morgan in S1, she was determined to drive Shaun out of the residency program and be #1 herself, but by the time of the quarantine in S2, she was the one who told the nurse how to get Shaun back on his feet after his meltdown, and she didn't yell at Shaun about his meltdown or judge him for it), and she has gone from friends with benefits to a full-fledged relationship and even love with the self-admitted attachment-prone Park. And Morgan DID join Glassman in playing Lea's parents at Shaun and Lea's practice dinner before Shaun met the Dilallos for the first time.

Claire might sing if she's there, I could see that happening. Karaoke would be amazing, since it's a Shea trademark and we didn't get a karaoke scene in S4. I'm working hard to manage my expectations for the wedding because I have no direct input into the wedding, but I admit, a part of me will be very bummed if "Islands in the Stream" isn't part of the music, either as Shaun and Lea's first dance, or the bride and groom singing it to each other in karaoke, which they might have instead of dancing.

I would be surprised if they opened the season with the wedding simply because there's so much story to be mined from the planning of the wedding. But I won't guess when the wedding might be, because it could be at any time, really: November sweeps/winter finale, February sweeps/Valentine's Day, season finale. There's just no way to know or even make an educated guess, really.

I agree that it wouldn't make much sense for Claire NOT to be there, since she had such a strong friendship with Shaun right from the very episode, and was the only other person besides Shaun that Lea truly confided in when she was pregnant in S4. Perhaps Antonia is filming scenes while she's in Vancouver now, and they'll just save those scenes until the actual wedding episode? I do hope Claire is there in person, and "Islands in the Stream" is part of the episode somehow. Other than that, I'm trying not to lock in on specific details because there are so many things they could choose to do for Shaun and Lea's wedding.

Amy D said...

Oh, and I hope they write their own vows, because Shaun is so eloquent when speaking of his love for Lea. Everything from "I don't care what happened in Hershey, but I care that YOU care" to Shaun's beautiful speech to Vera about everything he learned he was capable of doing after meeting Lea and how she makes him more, to her voice soothing him after a long, tough day, "It's not the same; it's better," and "I'm glad you're here with me" after the loss of Asher's first patient.

And I truly believe Lea would be equally eloquent, because she's had her own beautiful expressions of love to Shaun, from "You're the only honest guy I know" to "You're maybe the greatest man I've ever known" and "You make me more, Shaun" to "I know now that I won't be sad forever, and I don't think I would have gotten there without you."

Kelli Lawrence said...

Hi everyone! Jumping on here especially to welcome new comments contributor TeeJay!!! Thank you for your kind words and suggestions! This particular blog of mine has #Shea analysis dating back to late 2019/early 2020 (I started writing about them just after the “Friends & Family” episode, during the winter hiatus)… I hope you’ll can do some throwback reading on the way to next month’s season opener. And there have been some lengthy (but rather healthy) discussions in the comments of most posts… readers mention that a lot, and I’m thrilled to provide a space for that.

As for the new site—what you propose sounds AWESOME! It also sounds like more than I’ll probably be doing myself, mostly because a) I need to spend more time promoting my professional writing services than I’ve been doing, and b) I’ve got a couple other writing ideas I want to bring to light, including an overhaul of the figure skating blog that I started here back when Freddie Highmore was still a teenager (!).

I DO hope the #Shea side of the new site will be able to feature some of the things you mentioned—I’d love it to at least be a “hub” for other blogs, YouTube channels, possibly FanFic, etc. I move at a slower-than-most pace, though, when it comes to online progress… as long-time readers will likely tell you (!!)… so I don’t want to promise much just yet.

I’m going to keep your contact info in mind though, TeeJay… and I’ve got both your new blog and “Archive of Our Own” up on a tab to look at when time allows, too!

Thanks again!

Steven Hamburg said...

As always a great blog Kelli! They’ve named the first two episodes I think new beginnings and piece of cake. So the speculation is rampant that an early wedding is possible. If that’s so it means shore has more things in store for Shea including another try at becoming parents which I’m all for. I’m of course dreading the other reason of this being the final season as I hope there’s at least a sixth season left in this show. But a wedding to start the season will be great.

Shaun’s mom? I hope not. I agree that Lea would have resentments towards her and I say some is that Lea had to some extent fill the void because his mother just didn’t give him the love and support he deserved as a Son. I only see an attempted reconciliation through a remarriage and the new husband urging her to try and seek forgiveness from Shaun. But I don’t want that detracting from the wedding.

Yes music and dancing. Let’s go islands in the stream as their wedding song. Yes Claire as maid of honor if not Morgan. Park as best man yes! But overall small side to the wedding as to not overwhelm Shaun. Outside or in the wing of the hospital. I’m ready for some wedding cake!

Syl said...

All those ideas from you Kelli and from the others in the comments about the wedding are great!

I didn't dare to have to many wishes and expectations because I thought that we may end up disappointed if the wedding took place at the very beginning of the season.....And well it's clear from :
- all the photos of the actors all dressed up (but suspiciously no photos of the outfit for Paige and Freddie),
- the photos of a nice outdoor location with a charming building,
- the titles of the 2 first episodes - New beginnings and Piece of cake -, likely a 2-parter,
- Antonia Thomas being on the set for at least one of those 2 episodes, 
that it's what is happening.

So we won't get to see any moment of the wedding preparation. Or maybe in an accelerated mode in the first episode, the actual wedding being in the second one.
That's a shame, there would be so much to do, as you all pointed out on this blog post.
What makes me a bit sad beside the wedding planning, it's that like last year when we didn't get to see Glassman's reaction to Shea being now a couple, this time we won't see his reaction to learning that they are getting married (and that it's Lea who proposed!!). And we won't see Shaun and Lea learning about Glassman's divorce either.
I'm so disappointed sometimes in how the writers focus on things that are superficial or focus too much on the patients' life, but overlook other things that are very important to the development of their characters.

However, I don't want to be a debbie downer already while the season has not started yet! And I keep thinking that there were several factors playing into the writers' decision to have the wedding be so early :
- the weather allowing it to be outside, which is nice as I wished for an outdoor one (I think a church one wouldn't have fitted anyway, even though nice to see too, as neither Lea and Shaun appear to be religious) ; and it might also be easier to deal with a certain number of actors and guests close together amidst the epidemic, as despite the vaccination there is still the risk of getting serious symptoms,
- the fear of the epidemic reprising strongly in the next few months which could lead to renewed restrictions in filming and group gatherings albeit less strict ones than last year,
- Antonia Thomas being available right now for it while she may be in a project if the wedding were planned further away in the season, and the writers really wanted Claire to be there for such a big event which I fully support given that she's Shaun's best friend,
- it fits Lea and Shaun's characters to not wait and bother themselves with everything that goes with the planning of a traditional wedding

Moreover, I still want to trust the writers and believe that they also made the wedding happen early because they have interesting stuff planned for Lea and Shaun, as a couple and individually. In case there isn't a 6th season, they may want to focus early on Shea as a married couple, but also on them professionally, and also privately individually with some people from their past and/or their family showing up (ok, it's more wishful thinking on my part as I really want to see Donnie!).
And with the wedding being now something big for Shea will likely happen as soon as the mid-season...And clearly a breakup is out of the question. On the dramatic side it could be Lea being very seriously injured; and going back on the fact that Shaun didn't have any meltdown in s4 as he's in a better place now and he has learnt to better handle his emotions: to me, the only reason that would make him have another one now would be if something happened to Lea....
But on the bright side, it could be Lea being pregnant again, and giving birth in the finale.

Syl said...

I've really digressed from the topic at hand, so to get back to it even though there is no preparation:
- For Lea's dress, we discussed it a bit on Twitter a few months back, and I still would like her to have a dress that is not too fancy and traditional, and not with high heels, as it wouldn't fit Lea's character
- I really want to see a whole scene with them saying their vows, which they indeed should totally write themselves. I think of a scene in which Shaun would start feeling a bit overwhelmed, with the slips of paper on which he wrote a list of things to say not being ordered properly or falling on the ground, but Lea makes him calm down by softly and lightly caressing his hands, looking and smiling so softly at him, and propelling him to just speak with his heart, and Shaun delivers then a short but very sweet speech while looking deeply into Lea's eyes...It's quite corny, but I'd love that :)
- of course a passionate kiss after the vows, and why not with Shaun not waiting to hear the end of "You may kiss..." to go and kiss Lea
- Glassman officiating as the minister
- Claire as the maid of honour, and I love the idea of her singing,
- some tension between Glassman and Lea's parents ; I would love it if the latter said something a bit judgemental about Lea and Glassman defended her (even without Lea being present)
- a karaoke session!!!
- a dance scene, even just one where they barely move as Shaun wouldn't like it otherwise

I'm on the fence about Shaun's mother, she didn't protect her son, and I don't want her to disrupt the wedding. But I could see her make an appearance at some point. As Daniela said, Shaun has moved on from her and is moving forward with his life at San Jose where he got to be a part of a newfound family, with Glassman from before of course, Lea, and his colleagues who've become his friends. But did Marcie move on? She could try to make up for what she didn't do when he was a child and a teenager, although there is nothing she could really do at this point for him to accept her in his life.

I'm digressing again, but regarding the timeline, the wedding being filmed in August/beginning of September makes it be around the same time as in the show; season 4's timeline was from February 2020 to around July 2021. It would fit if the wedding was just several weeks after that. It wouldn't be much later than that anyway as Shaun is in his last year of residency and so it would make sense to start at episode 3 somewhere around September.