Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Why Me?

So what qualifies me to blog about figure skating, anyway?

Ummm… since it’s a blog, I’ll keep it to a set of three quick reasons, upon which I’m likely to expand at a later date:

1) Skating’s been a part of my life for over 30 years…

2) …With five of those years spent training/competing, and the past two getting several articles published in national and international magazines.

3) And while the TV/video industry has been a part of my life for over 20 years, I know the pool is far too deep with talented writers critiquing American Idol and The Office for me to try my hand at that.

So I froze the pool and skate on it instead. Makes sense, right?

For your Clip of the Day, this time I searched “Figure Skating Pairs” video. Again, from last year’s Worlds, comes a brilliant free skate… this time from 2007 World Champions Shen and Zhao, courtesy of Eurosport:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z2onmlL194M

When I heard this year that the Inoue/Baldwin marriage proposal at Nationals was a knockoff of the proposal offered at the end of this program, I was stunned. There was a proposal at the end of this--? But as you’ll see, it lasts all of eight seconds.

No comments: