Saturday, August 8, 2020

#SHEA Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist, Volume 7 (Tracks 31-35)

 

I hope you’re still finding the bi-weekly additions to the Playlist interesting!

My intent is to put out two more “volumes” after this one… at that point, everyone who has submitted at least one song to me should be included. Beyond that, I plan to build the numerous other song suggestions into blog posts in ways TBD later. And yes, I’m contemplating a shareable spreadsheet of the entire Playlist, hopefully with an actual Spotify playlist to follow! But be patient; I move S L O W L Y 😒

I will still GLADLY make room for more suggestions, so please remember (and/or tell others) that THIS is the original “call for submissions” link!

It’s getting more difficult to group these into single categories, but I think today’s submissions are mostly reflective of #Shea happenings of 2020 thus far…

 --

SONG: “Someone to Call My Own” by Mos Isley 

Songwriters: Mos Isley (This is a guess; could not find a definitive answer) 

Submitted by: Allan Verissimo; endorsed by Rose Amelie 

Comments from Me: “As heard in the promo for 3.16(Autopsy)…” 

(this one resonates with MANY TGD fans; the video links for the song are chock full of comments like “The Good Doctor brought me here”)


Also—I thought Mos Isley was a person’s name until I Googled it and kept seeing references to Star Wars… that confusion eventually led to the discovery that “Mos” is actually the name of a Swedish Indie rock/pop band (aka SEVERAL people). The more you know…!

Anyway, many thanks to Allan for suggesting “Someone” in the blog comments a few weeks back… I’m sure others thank you too! Rose Amelie mentioned it as well…

Comments from Rose: “I just love it! It sounds when

Shaun walks to talk to Lea in the clinic (well.. he said nothing because he was scared). This theme fits perfect for Shaun´s POV. He knows that deserves to be with someone, and realized that Carly isn`t the person he really loves. That truth hit him like a locomotive, and Shaun finally accepts his feelings for Lea, and the desires to share his life with her.”

 

SAMPLE LYRICS

 

This universe I understand

A brand-new world is in our hands

I want someone to call my own

Someone to share my rhythm and to fallow home

Somewhere I belong…. Someone to call my own


A long gone light has reappeared

A piece of mind is what you hear

We can make it right somehow

We can break the barrier now

 

 

HEAR IT HERE 

 

--

SONG: “Everything in My Heart” by Corey Hart 

Songwriter: Corey Hart

Submitted by: Kelli 

Comments: This track from Mr.“Sunglasses at Night” was a minor (Top 30) hit in the U.S., but went #1 in his native Canada, and stuck with me throughout the final arc of S3. It’s a throwaway 80s ballad for some… but it’s also the kind of piece for which, if I was producing a #Shea music video, the visuals would come easily in tandem with the lyrics…

 

Through the longest nights
Oh we know them so well
I keep forgetting my place
And I stumbled til I fell
So easy it's so easy

To never see the truth…


And sometimes when my heart is so cold

And you cut me out and you're so hard to hold…


I keep searching

I want to get through to you





I keep on searching

About to break through to you

Again and again…






HEAR IT HERE 

And though I wanted to find a decent, updated cover of “Everything…” to share here, I can only provide the original, cliché-ridden “concert” video clip from 1985. Sorry!

 

-- 

SONG: “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon 

Songwriters: Ben Berger, Eli Maiman, Ryan McMahon, Nicholas Petricca, Kevin Ray 

Submitted by: Rose Amelie (I’m counting THIS as her contribution, not the previous one)

Comments from Rose: “This was one of my first songs in my personal the #Shea playlist. The difference with the previous two songs is that this theme is pure joy and strength. Obviously, it´s Shaun´s POV based on Lea´s personality and soul...

For me, the phrase ‘dance with’ represents the new life of both. Shaun loves and accepts Lea for just ‘being her,’ and he knows his destiny is with her.”

 

SAMPLE LYRICS

 

We were victims of the night
The chemical, physical, kryptonite
Helpless to the bass and the fading light
Oh, we were bound to get together
Bound to get together

She took my arm
I don't know how it happened
We took the floor and she said

"Oh, don't you dare look back

Just keep your eyes on me"
I said, "You're holding back"
She said, "Shut up and dance with me!"
This woman is my destiny
She said, "Ooh-ooh-hoo
Shut up and dance with me"

 

HEAR IT HERE 


-- 

SONG: “Bless the Broken Road” (best known by Rascal Flatts) 

Songwriters: Marcus Hummon, Bobby Boyd, Jeff Hanna

Submitted by: Tony

Comments from Tony: “I spent a lot of my young adult years enjoying a mix of lighter Pop and Country, and this one happened to be a crossover hit that came out about a year before I graduated college. There are other versions out there, but this was by far the biggest.

“Call this one a song from Lea's perspective - even though it's sung by a male group. In it, the singer recounts years of broken dreams, heartbreak and relationship fails; which ultimately proved to pave the way to their true love.”

 

Comments from Me: My limited knowledge of country music had me thinking the Rascal Flatts 2004 version of “Broken Road” was the original… far from it! The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band had the original in the ‘90s, and several covers have been made through the years, both in the country and contemporary Christian genres (with the Rascal Flatts version being by far the best-known, as Tony indicates).

 

Since it’s devoted to Lea’s perspective on things, the lyric video I’m including contains one of the female versions of the song (by CCM artist Selah).


 

SAMPLE LYRICS

 

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road


That led me straight to you

  

HEAR IT HERE 


--

SONG: “We’re Going Home” by Vance Joy

Songwriters: James Keogh (A.K.A. Vance Joy), Dan Wilson 

Submitted by: Faghost

Comments from Me: Faghost, like a few others, has submitted many, MANY songs for #Shea playlist consideration. 😁 No commentary was provided for this submission, but the song itself was flagged with multiple asterisks to indicate it was a top pick among the many, MANY Faghost suggested!😊 I’ll just add that Vance Joy is an Aussie artist best known in the U.S. for his songs “Riptide” and “Saturday Sun”.

 

“We’re Going Home” is another one of those songs with lyrics and warmth to stir up all the positive vibes emanating from the back half of the S3 finale.

 

SAMPLE LYRICS

 


Some things are simple and hard to ignore
They say, hmm, the truth is like that
We're getting colder, so far from the shore
I say, hmm, the world is like that


I can't see you
But I hear your call
Baby, hold on now




We're going home
If we make it or we don't, we won't be alone
When I see your light shine, I know I'm home
If you're waiting all your life, you won't ever go

 

HEAR IT HERE 

 

2 comments:

Tony said...

I've taken great joy out of these playlist entries, Kelli. And you're a big part of it! I just love the effort, research, and personal touch you've placed on all of these songs from across the musical world. You truly rock!

I've also enjoyed interacting with all of the other fans here. Just like our musical tastes, we have plenty of diversity among ourselves. And yet, a few common bonds we've found include our enjoyment of this great show, and our appreciation of the Shaun and Lea journey. I hope these great discussions continue for a long time!

I'm sure when Mos Isley was forming their name, someone told them that it matched the name of the Star Wars location where Han Solo shot first (or at least he did from 1977-1997). With so much controversy surrounding that scene, you were wise to be more specific in your search.

I've praised that song before, back in Part 13 of your series. The idea of "Someone to Call My Own" goes perfectly hand-in-hand with Paige's post-episode interview from "Autopsy," when she said "Lea does love Shaun. Lea does have a bond with Shaun. That would be her person." Great to see it here as an official entry!

Amy D said...

I never thought of "Shut Up and Dance With Me" as a Shea song, but Lea would definitely take Shaun's arm to hit the dance floor, and they were kind of dancing around when they sang "Super Bass" at karaoke in season 3.

I didn't know anyone other than Rascal Flatts had ever recorded "Bless the Broken Road," and I'm afraid I only know two Corey Hart songs: "Sunglasses at Night" and "Never Surrender." I'll have to give "Everything in My Heart" a listen.

"Someone to call my own." Five words that hopefully sum up Shaun and Lea in S4 and beyond! Because they DO love each other, deeply, and it's not just physical attraction, there's a solid base of friendship.