Saturday, September 12, 2020

State of the #Shea EXCLUSIVE: The Sheree-Lynn Blizzard Interview!



If you’re a #Shea ‘shipper at any level—hard-core, moderate, toe-dipper (is that a thing? I’m not sure that’s a thing)—you know about Sheree-Lynn Blizzard’s videos.

If you don't... or, well may we'll assume you're relatively new to all of this... I wrote all about them earlier in the summer. Or, just go to YouTube, type in her name and/or Shaun + Lea, and get acquainted. Take your time. She's now completed a total of ELEVEN music video #Shea tributes.

She's not the only one to produce these; 
I've also featured the
work of others here and plan to feature more in the future. But, for many of us, Sheree-Lynn's work is the Gold Standard.

Which is why it's exciting to present this STATE OF THE #SHEA EXCLUSIVE!

In a straightforward, Q + A format, here's my interview with Sheree-Lynn Blizzard.



(SOS) A classic question to start... Tell TGD fans about yourself! As much or as little as you're comfortable with!

(SLB) I have always been fascinated with the creative side of things through visuals and music.   I love how it can enhance the original story by just the use of a song.   My sister Tina and I use to make 'videos' for the soap One Life to Live and The X-Files just using two VCRs and a cassette player.   We would have to mute the tv and play the song we wanted to use over our "edited" clips.  It of course was a more extensive way of doing it.   But they were fun to create and I found out years later that other video creators started out doing it the same way.   I watch ASMR videos to help with my insomnia and to relax me.  Some of my other favourite tv shows I watch are Outlander, Lucifer, This Is Us, and New Amsterdam.  A few of the artists I like to listen to is 54.40, Taylor Swift, Jann Arden, Hanson, and Sheryl Crow.


(SOS) Tell me about the history of your YT channel... what shows have your done videos for ahead of TGD, and what was your inspiration (were there any other video-makers that got your creative juices flowing)?

 

(SLB) I started my channel Oct 17th, 2008 and the first video I uploaded was of Edward and Bella (Twilight).   In January 2013 I started making video tributes to Rumple and Belle from Once upon a Time. The last video I uploaded before my computer I had at the time crashed was a video on Will Graham (Hannibal) “The Catalyst.” It was almost three years later when I finally got a new computer, and new editing software.   Around that time, I started watching the show Outlander so my first video back to editing was Jamie and Claire “Yellow Light.”    Because the quality of this video from my past uploads was so much better, that was a personal highlight for me.   I then continued with videos of Philip and Elizabeth (The Crown).   I love watching other fan videos and I am always in awe of the talent.  My favourites are ones that are not overwhelming with effects and transitions.   Those who visit my channel can always check out the playlists of my favourite videos.   My latest fave video is from "MaitikaHan" ~Jamie and Claire - Safe.  


 

(SOS) What's your history with TGD...have you watched from the beginning? At someone's recommendation, or on your own? (Was it sparked by a unique interest in autism? Being a longtime Freddie fan? Something else?)

 

(SLB) Well, Bates Motel kept coming up on my


NETFLIX homepage
so I thought I would check it out.    At the time NETFLIX only had up to series 4 and by then I loved the show and just ended up getting the Box Set.  I then started seeing promos for The Good Doctor with Freddie Highmore and took notice it was created from David Shore (House).   I found the storyline intriguing and enjoyed Freddie's performance in Bates Motel so I was curious to check him out in The Good Doctor.  

 

(SOS) When did the Shaun/Lea relationship first snag your attention? From the beginning, or with a later exchange between them?

 

(SLB) Right from the beginning, it got my attention.   I was so happy he knocked on her door to introduce himself. That is the reason why I used that exchange in my first Shea video.  I adore their chemistry together and was so thrilled Paige became series regular.    

 

(SOS) How soon after Lea's Season 1 exit from the show did you decide to do your first video for them? How did you come up with "Shine a Light" as your first music choice?

 


(SLB) I remember the "Islands" episodes being the inspiration for me wanting to start making one.  I believe I started editing it when part 1 aired.   I may have wanted to make a video sooner on them, but Islands was the only episode by then that really had them in more than one scene.  Song choice happened with me searching for TGD and Shea related stuff on YouTube.   I think it had to do with the song being featured on an episode as well.  But the lyrics seemed fitting and I loved the melody.
 

 

(SOS) How soon did you know your tributes to Shea were resonating with a lot of other fans? (Taking note here that you knocked out 3 different Shea videos between February and June 2018)

 

(SLB) Sharing them on Twitter (via TGDsquad) really helped get them noticed.  So, thanks to you and all of them for the support.   Also, a shoutout to R.K.P Wong for this lovely comment on my first Shea video:

"Thank you for sharing.  Best Shaun and Lea video ever on YouTube:  I love the quality of the pictures, pictures arrangements, and song choice.  I miss Lea and miss Shaun and Lea together so much."  

Also, my subscribers spiked when I uploaded my "Latch" video.

 

(SOS) Can you describe/run through your editing process from start to finish? (Again, telling as much or as little as you're comfortable with!)

 

(SLB) I need to have the lyrics on hand so I can take notes of clip ideas.   I use Corel Video Studio 2020 and insert the song in the timeline and import any episodes I will be using.  


I listen to the melody of the song a lot and take note of beat changes.  I watch scenes to get the feel of how they may work lyrically and how it will convey emotionally with the tone of the song.
 Any dialogue I keep in I normalize it and/or use a reverb effect.   Once that is all done, I add a colouring effect and my title/watermark.  I personally don't like to go crazy with effects because I find it too distracting.   I am a fan of letting the lyrics and clips tell a story.  

 

(SOS) As of now, you've produced 11 different Shea music tribute videos. Can you talk about a few of the highlights for you... song choices that worked better than anticipated, edits and effects that you're especially proud of, etc.?

 

(SLB runs through her videos here in chronological order):

 

Shine a Light ~ the part with Shaun saying "I don't like the beach" and Lea's response "I will let the car know" was a highlight for me personally just trying to fill in that bit of instrumental.  It just had the right timing and the exchange was cute.  And it worked so well with the tone of the song.  

 

I Need my Girl ~ "I made a mistake today and someone got hurt" and the cut to him mentally preparing for the onslaught of patients was the first idea I actually had in making the video.  This video is different because Lea is not focused on every clip. It may be why it is one of my least viewed of my Shea videos.   I do like the colouring I used in it.

 

Green Apples~   I was listening to Chantal Kreviazuk's cd Under These Rocks and Stones at work and  "Green Apples"  came on and I thought wait a second... "Green Apples - Shaun loves Green Apples" :) I just thought it would be cute to use and of course Lea saying at the end "I've got apples, you want an apple?" made the video work.  

 

What If~  (the lyric) "what if it makes you crash and you can't find the key", the timing of Shaun knocking on the door and the camera panning to his hand all just worked so well.  Keeping in the audio of them singing "tender love is blind, it requires a dedication" at the end is still a highlight for me. I was proud of how it worked.  

 

Better ~ The beginning shot ("Hello roomie") was intentional in me continuing it off from the ending of the What If video ("we are going to be roommates".)  "You came into the picture like a natural" part was a proud edit moment where the timing just worked beautifully.   It took me a few tries to get the timing right of when to start Shaun walking and editing Lea opening the door at the right lyric.  

 

Latch~ Out of all my videos so far this is my favourite colouring I have used.  I just think it is beautiful and it highlights the right mood for the song.  

 

Enchanted ~ I tried to keep the first verse of the song in but just couldn't, at the time, find moments that would work.   Lucky for me, it wasn't too hard to just start the song on the second verse.    Oh, and the timing of the opening credit to the beat of the music - don't ask me how long that took to get right ; ) And I love how it transitioned perfectly from Shaun's "Hello" to Lea's "I'm Lea" to "I'm Doctor Shaun Murphy, nice to meet you".

 

Dynasty~ This was a song request and I made a creative choice not to include the Season 3 finale kiss in the video.   I know that decision was not liked by some viewers, but with the subject matter and the overall tone of the song it just didn't feel right.    Originally, I didn't use the instrumental version at the start.   I went back and forth on keeping it in or not but, of course, decided to.  Those who are familiar with the scene know where the edits are, but I wanted it to look seamless.   The edit of Lea bursting through the door (From “Apple,” S1) at "I am selfish" and how it landed on the beat of the song, was one of those happy accidents.  

 

Fall on Me~   The lyrics just resonated with me and I loved the melody.   I thought it was perfect for their (S3 finale) "kiss".    Leaving in Shaun's "I am going to Rock it!" and cutting to Lea running to kiss him was intentional to the build-up of him finally getting this kiss he deserved.  


"I can't see the future but I know that it's there" part was frustrating so I almost quit editing the video.  I was struggling to find a clip for that moment but of course, I found one that Lea just gave the perfect facial expression.




^^^NOTE: it is REMARKABLY PERFECT. -- Kelli 

 

November Rain~ This was another song request, and a song I personally wouldn't have considered for a Shea video.  There were some frustrations with clip ideas, and how much I wanted to include Carly in the video.   There were several times I didn't think I would be able to finish it, but I am happy how it turned out.   I loved how the start with Lea asking Shaun if he is "Okay" worked with the build-up of his being scared to reveal his feelings.  

 

Far Away (a.k.a. I Love You)~ I got the song idea from Amy Danko; it was one of her song suggestions for the 'Shea Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist, Volume 3'. Though during the time of making it I got creatively stuck. I was feeling frustrated because every time I would go into my editing program I would just stare at my screen. I knew I wanted to include moments from the 'I Love You' episode. But I needed to step away and refresh my mind on how to approach it. 

Once I got back into editing it I decided just to play


around with the 'split-screen' effect. It was an effect I never used before and just thought it would highlight some moments in a different way.
Shaun's "...and no cards to play" moment in the video is my personal fave edit. I love how the motion of his hands "on my knees I'll ask" just worked perfectly lyrically.

 

(SOS) What have been the biggest challenges... anticipated or otherwise? Were there some videos that turned out to be more difficult to create than others? Why?

 

(SLB) The overall challenge I face as an editor is the song choice and finding the right clips to go with lyrics.  “November Rain” has been so far the most challenging with trying to find the right balance between the mood and emotion of the scenes to the song.

 

(SOS) Let's talk about the knockoffs... fellow YouTube-ers who have actually taken your finished production and tried to pass it off as their own (except with a different music choice). How often has this happened... when did you first become aware of it... and what sort of action have you taken (if any?) to deter it?

 

(SLB) Obviously, those who take my videos are wanting to make these videos but are too lazy to do the work.   When they do this, it takes about 5 mins of their time where I can be working on my video for up to a month.    The sad thing is it will continue to happen even with my watermark.  

 

I just hope that others would just be considerate of the editing process and the time involved with coming up with creative ideas.   And how they would feel if they spent all that time on making a video and someone just took all that creativity and claimed it as their own.  

 

The videos that I am aware of that this has happened to are “Shine a Light,” “I Need my Girl,” and “Dynasty”.  I would contact the uploader or leave a comment and a few times they would apologize and/or remove the video.   Some argue that I use copyrighted material and there is no difference in what I upload and them "stealing" my work.   But I never claim those original clips as my own and the copyright owner(s) allow permission for me to use their material.  This means, of course, that my videos can't be monetized and the copyright owner (Sony/TGD) and/or the singer (artist) gets paid the ad revenue.    

 

(SOS) As of now, the three most-watched SLB Shea videos are, by far: "Fall on Me," "Latch," and "Dynasty.” What do you think it is about those three that clicks with viewers the most? (And if there are any comments you've received about these videos that help illustrate your answer, please reference them!)

 


P.S. It's now over 257K!



    (SLB) The "Latch" video garnered me more subscribers.  Youtube's algorithm, I believe, had something to do with that.    And it may be what helped click for “Dynasty” and “Fall on Me.”   Also, fan's knowing that “the kiss" would be featured in the “Fall on Me” video through the thumbnail made the video even more "clickable" ; )

 


Personally I love how those three turned out and think overall it is just the song choice and quality of the clips that attracted the viewers.   For my "Latch" video,  Amy Danko's "Beautiful!" comment sums up the overall visual of the video.    


And Fall on Me video, 'big ang's' comment "Great video! I love how the perspective seemed to shift from Shaun to Lea @1:29. The camera pushes in just as the vocals change, which seems to give us that wonderful impression of seeing through Lea's eyes from that moment on.  Overall, you did an excellent job of showing us both sides of this love story. Thank you for sharing!"  was exactly what I was going for.   It is wonderful when the viewer also sees the same perspective creatively that I have taken.
 

 

(SOS) What's next for SLB Shea videos? Aside from getting some new #Shea footage to work with (YAY!), what are you looking forward to most with regards to future creations, e.g. song choices you've been waiting to use until they were actually "together"?

 

(SLB) I do want to make a video using the song "Islands in the Stream" but I know I would want to use clips of them as a "couple" from season 4.   There is a Bon Jovi song "Roller Coaster" that was requested that I hope to get to after the "Far Away" video is completed but I also wish to upload videos from my other fandoms too.   I am just excited about making future Shea videos.  

 

(SOS) Is there anything else that you feel is important to say about you and your work?

 

(SLB) I just want to thank everyone for all the amazing feedback and for subscribing.   Also, I know it can be frustrating that I don't upload often but I really appreciate all the patience.  




 

5 comments:

Sheree-Lynn said...

Thanks again Kelli : )

Tony said...

Thank you BOTH for the time and effort in putting this interview together!

As a fan of this great show, and Shaun & Lea specifically, I can attest that there are some BRILLIANT people with which I have the honor of sharing an opinion. And it's not just liking the same characters/relationship, but also the great attention to detail that Kelli and Sheree-Lynn both put into their respective communication outlets.

Keep up the great work! I know I'm one of many to whom you each bring great joy!

Amy D said...

Fascinating interview! Thanks so much for taking the time, Kelli and Sheree-Lynn! I agree with Tony about the attention to detail both of you show in your respective communication outlets. I'm glad you were inspired by "Far Away," Sheree-Lynn. I look forward to your future videos, and your description of your video making process is something I found very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Great read. Here is an idea. Maybe you could interview another ship as sort of a one off sort of thing like Melendaire or Limlendez. Just an idea. Anyways loved this. Look forward to reading more.

Kelli Lawrence said...

Thanks! To clarify-- Do you mean interview one particular representative of the Melendaire and/or Limlendez ships? An intriguing idea, given the current state of affairs.