Saturday, July 11, 2020

#SHEA Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist, Volume 5 (Tracks 21-25)



This edition of the Playlist is dedicated to the back five episodes of S3… when “Autopsy,” “Fixation,” “Heartbreak,” “Hurt,” and “I Love You” had all us #Shea fans agonizing over Shaun and Lea’s future… and, at times, wondering if they still HAD a future. 

That run between February and March took us all through the gamut of emotions… and now that they’re “together” (at least as far as S4 goes), it’s a lot easier to deal with in retrospect than it was in real time! So let’s dig in to five more contributions…


SONG: “Up” by Olly Murs featuring Demi Lovato

Songwriters: Wayne Hector, Daniel Davidsen, Maegen Cottone, Peter Wallevik, Mich Hansen

Submitted by: Rose Amelie

Comments from Rose Amelie: “I discovered this when I put an Olly Murs playlist in YouTube… it could easily represent Shaun's feelings in the "Heartbreak" and "Hurt" episodes (the pain of a broken heart, and the hope that the things would work anyway):

Lyrics (Murs): 
Just breathe against the glass

Leave me some kind of sign
I know the hurt won't pass, yeah
Just tell me it's not the end of the line
Just tell me it's not the end of the line

“But it also represents Lea after her love confession:

Lyrics (Lovato): 
I never meant to break your heart
Now I won't let this plane go down
I never meant to make you cry
I'll do what it takes to make this fly

“And finally, both compromise to this:”

Lyrics (sung together):
Oh, you got to hold on
Hold on to what you're feeling
That feeling is the best thing
The best thing, alright



I'm going to place my bet on us
I know this love is heading
In the same direction
That's up
  
Comment from Me: Olly Murs is a U.K. artist who came to prominence via The X Factor. He’s apparently done well internationally but hasn’t made much headway in the U.S., which is why I’d never heard this 2014 duet with Lovato until now. (And that's a shame, because I really enjoy its Phillip Phillips-esque groove and think it would have fared well on radio over here!)

The official music video is worth a watch; I really like the concept and can almost picture Shaun and Lea in the respective male/female roles… not just because they’re breaking stuff, either!



If you’d rather just check out the lyrics… HEAR IT HERE


**

SONG: “Yours to Hold” by Skillet


Songwriter: John L. Cooper

Submitted by: Amy Danko

Comments from Amy Danko: “Someone used this in a fan-made music video for Booth and Brennan from Bones that I saw at YouTube, which isn't there anymore… but I loved the song so much that I bought it. All these years later, I can't rightly say the entire song fits for #Shea, because they know each other's names… but it reminds me of them, and I really put it into heavy rotation in my music library after "F&F" aired last December. 


Knowing that Shaun had feelings for Lea, and, especially after "F&F," thinking to myself all those weeks that she ABSOLUTELY had feelings for him that went beyond just being best friends, I went around listening to, humming, and singing this song A LOT in January and February and March. And I still am… you can guess which parts of the song really remind me of how they feel about each other after reading the lyrics.”

Comments from Me: Though Skillet is a Christian Rock band, this track from their 2006 album Comatose appears (via the lyrics; I have no other info about it) that it could be secular in nature. As you’ll see in both “Yours to Hold” and the next song on the Playlist, interpretation is everything… once the words are out there, songs mean what they mean to people.

SAMPLE LYRICS

Every single day
I find it hard to say
I could be yours alone
You will see someday
That all along the way
I was yours to hold
I was yours to hold

I'm stretchin', but you're just out of reach
You should know
I'm ready when you're ready for me
And I'm waiting for the right time
For the day I catch your eye
To let you know
That I'm yours to hold


**

SONG: “You Say” by Lauren Daigle

Songwriters: Jason Ingram, Paul Mabury, Lauren Daigle

Submitted by: Tammy Lewis


Comment from Tammy Lewis: “When I heard it, I thought of Lea trying to convince Shaun how important his love is to her.”


Comments from Me:
This song-- which, to me, benefitted greatly from a production job reminiscent of Adele's "Someone Like You"-- did for CCM artist Daigle what a song called "Find a Way" did for Amy Grant way back in 1985: found its way from Contemporary Christian radio to the mainstream... to a coveted space on Billboard's Top 40... to secular starmaker status. 

Back to what I said about the Skillet song... interpretation, interpretation, interpretation. Daigle herself describes "You Say" as "a song of my identity," which I think is generally considered to mean her identity through a higher power. But what if it's thought of in secular terms... in this case, a woman we've all recognized for her self-worth issues... and her struggle to see herself with the same loving eyes that Shaun has for her? 

I don't know if ALL the lyrics to "You Say" work for such a take, but neither do all the lyrics to many of our playlist choices. I think it's a most interesting suggestion! 

(By the way, THANKS Tammy for your suggestion... and remember you can always send more! That goes for all readers... here's the "call for submissions" post link!)

SAMPLE LYRICS

You say I am loved when I can't feel a thing
You say I am strong when I think I am weak
And You say I am held when I am falling short
And when I don't belong, oh You say I am Yours
And I believe, oh I believe
What You say of me
I believe


**

SONG: “Fall On Me” by A Great Big World Featuring Christine Aguilera


Songwriters: Ian Axel and Chad King

Submitted by: Angelica, while giving a shoutout to YouTube #Shea contributor supreme Sheree-Lynn Blizzard. “Fall on Me” is the piece of music behind one of Blizzard’s most-watched #Shea videos to date. Check out THIS POST for more about her work!)

 

Comments from Angelica: “This fanvid “Fall on Me” (from Blizzard) gets its title from the featured song, which itself is a duet performed by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera. IMHO, the video does a great job of presenting Shaun and Lea's separate perspectives by synchronizing edits with the solo performances of each singer to effectively convey each side of their story.”

 

Comments from Me: A Great Big World and Aguilera combined forces previously on “Say Something,” which became a tremendous hit after performing it on NBC’s The Voice. “Fall on Me” was released earlier this year, but didn’t duplicate “Say Something”-level success (at least not in the U.S.) But it’s a beautiful contribution both to Blizzard’s catalog and our Playlist. 


SAMPLE LYRICS
Fly like a cannonball straight to my soul
Tear me to pieces and make me feel whole



I'm willing the fight for it
To feel something new
To know what it's like to be sharing a space with you


 

Fall on me
With open arms
Fall on me
From where you are
Fall on me


With all your light
With all your light
With all your light


Take away the visuals many of us are now used to seeing, and the lyrics still carry Shaun and Lea’s perspectives with grace. HEAR IT (simply as a lyric video) HERE 



**

SONG: “All I Know” by Art Garfunkel

Songwriters: Jimmy Webb++

Submitted by: Me (Kelli)

Leave it to ME to contribute the oldest song (by far) in Volume 5… 😉

 

This song—a Billboard Top 10 hit in 1973—is one of several that stand out from my earliest days. This is probably because I was raised largely on my older siblings’ Simon and Garfunkel albums of the late 60s, and “All I Know” featured Garfunkel’s lovely, lilting tenor in a way similar to “Bridge Over Troubled Water.”

 

I think the opening lines of “All I Know”—                                      


I bruise you, you bruise me—sprang to mind for me by the end of the “Heartbreak” episode, when it felt like both Shaun and Lea had done all the damage they could do to each other (and their relationship). I had to dig up the rest of the lyrics to see if the song made sense for them, and I really think they do—especially for this back arc of S3. Jimmy Webb wrote a wealth of recognizable hits in the 60s, most notably “Up, Up and Away,” “Wichita Lineman,” and “MacArthur Park”… but the lyric structure of “All I Know” is considerably simpler. Probably because the core is simple: I love you, and that’s All I Know.

 

Anyway, the bridge lyrics are what hooked me:

 

When the singer's gone
Let the song go on
It's a fine line between the darkness and the dawn


They say in the darkest night, there's a light beyond

 

The arrangement of Garfunkel’s version of the song is, as I said before, similar to “Troubled Water” in its swelling orchestration, climbing-ever-higher vocals, and cannon-like sounds in the final minute. But then, in a way very similar to Barry Manilow’s “Could It Be Magic” from the same era, “All I Know” calms all the way down to the simple, piano-only intro with which it started.  I like to think of the “swelling” part of the song as the final parts of the season finale… and the “calm” part as Shaun and Lea in much quieter, gentler moments that now lie ahead. 


As a bonus… I found a 2010 version of this song that was recorded as a duet between Jimmy Webb (the songwriter himself) and Linda Ronstadt. What’s especially poignant about this recording is that it was one of Ronstadt’s last—as you might know, Parkinson’s Disease has robbed her of her ability to sing, and I think she’d already announced her retirement by the time this was recorded (she’d stopped performing in 2009). Webb is apparently a long-time friend of hers, and he persuaded her into the studio once more with this lovely (and considerably sparser) version. 






6 comments:

Tony said...

First off, I'm happy to see a new name on here. Welcome aboard, Tammy - and great pick! Hopefully some more of your picks will make the list in the weeks to come! And of course, it always brings a smile to my face to see evidence of just how great the Shea fandom is!

As always, great write-up Kelli! One of my great weekend traditions over the past few months has been coming here and anticipating the latest entry! Even if those "tough" scenes in the back-five Season 3 episodes are easier to watch now than in retrospect, I still wouldn't call them easy. Especially the back-to-back gut punches in Episodes 17 and 18. I wish more people understood that these two episodes were NOT the norm for either Shaun OR Lea. Oh well - at least WE know what's up!

For any trend-watchers, I thought I'd share a positive update. A while back, I pointed out that three of the top 5 Season 3 videos from ABC on YouTube were Shaun and Lea videos. Well, as of this week, the highest among those (and #3 overall) is now the "I Love You" ending scene. At almost 1.2 million, this clip continues to go strong! It's always a great week when happiness triumphs over anger or sadness - especially so in the world of Shea!

Amy D said...

"Yours to Hold" is definitely a secular love song, as Skillet frontman and songwriter John L. Cooper described it as "kind of a prom song, with the excitement of young love." I know that Shaun and Lea aren't teenagers, but they are still relatively young, and they've never felt about anyone else the way they feel about each other (that's a hill I'm willing to die on). I just looked that up about the song tonight, so I didn't know that when I suggested it, but I'm thrilled, as are we all, that Shaun and Lea are, at last, each other's to hold.

That's such great news, Tony! In these difficult times, we all need all the positivity we can get, and knowing that the ending scene of "I Love You" with Shaun and Lea is at almost 1.2 million views is good news indeed!

Tony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony said...

I'll join you on that hill, Amy! Because I truly believe it too!

I love these rock/alternative songs on here. It's not always a genre that yields a solid love song!

I'll throw one more out there, my 11th pick in honor of "7-11 Day" (since I didn't get my free Slurpee). It's in that rock/alternative genre - though it may be an under-the-radar pick to many.

11. Calling You – Blue October
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4HMxxN_3GA
Writer: Justin Furstenfeld

I was fortunate to see these guys in concert in the late 2000s. Their hits "Hate Me" and "Into the Ocean" had just had decent success. The former hit #2 on Billboard's Alternative Chart; the latter hit #10 on the Adult Pop chart; both made the Hot 100. "Calling You" wasn't quite the hit those two were (Top 20 on Adult Pop was its best peak) - but it was always the one I enjoyed the most.

In terms of Shaun and Lea, it really hits home for two reasons. First, some of the greatest "quick" Shaun and Lea scenes have been their phone calls. From the "Two-Ply" banter over toilet paper, to the humorous "Hubert" exchange that included Morgan as a witness, to the EPIC emoji scene in Season 3. The plot device that can be so "meh" elsewhere (characters on the phone) ends up being an oft-repeated scene when Shea is involved!

And second, it's a great reminder of the impact that person can have in your life. How that special person can open up a whole new world. We've seen very well how Lea has done that for Shaun, and I think we've seen enough to reason that Shaun has been that person for Lea as well.

The second verse spells it out perfectly:

I thought that the world had lost its sway
(It's so hard sometimes)

Then I fell in love with you
(Then came you)
And you took that away
(It's not so difficult
The world is not so difficult)

You take away the old
Show me the new
And I feel like I can fly when I stand next to you

So while I'm on this phone
A hundred miles from home
I'll take the words you gave me and send them back to you



Hopefully we'll get to see them plenty close-up and in-person. But if they have to be on the phone to make a scene work, I feel good that it'll be a good scene!

PS - in my first comment, 2nd paragraph, please omit the word "than". Silly grammar on my part :-)

Allan Verissimo said...

I dn't know if it was already mentioned, but the song that plays in the 3x16 episode promo, "Someone to Call My Own" (Mos Isley), is amazing and would also work well if it played in Shaun and Lea's last scene in some season finale: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgm7qtBK758

I've had enough of monologues (We are we are)
And lonely nights in city bars (We are we are)

Away away we go
To something beautiful
We're trading silver for gold
Silver for gold

I want someone to call my own
Someone to share my rhythm and to follow home
Somewhere I belong
Someone to call my own

This universe I understand (We are we are)
A brand new world is in our hands (We are we are the future)

I want someone to call my own
Someone to share my rhythm and to follow home
Somewhere I belong
Someone to call my own

A long gone light has reappeared
A piece of mind is what you hear
We can make it right somehow
We can break the barrier now

I want someone to call my own

I want someone to call my own
Someone to share my rhythm and to follow home
Somewhere I belong
Someone to call my own

In other news, the Gold Derby website is voting to choose the nominees for its annual awards for best series and performers of the year. The Website users vote for their favorites. The Good Doctor is eligible for Drama Series, Lead Actor (Freddie Highmore) and Supporting Actor (Richard Schiff). In addition, there is also Drama Episode, where The Good Doctor is eligible for the episode "I Love You". It is more impressive because the 30 semifinalists in this category were chosen by the users (each one sent his list of 3 favorite episodes for a week), and the episode is alongside episodes from other praised series such as Better Call Saul, Ozark, Succession, etc.

Andreas said...

Setting up a new laptop and browsing my own music collection in the process, I stumpled on another song I find quite fitting for the tensions of 316/317:

Walking After You by the Foo Fithers, version of 1998 for the X-Files movie.

https://youtu.be/TNwkN9vrUYY

Lyrics and visuals in the video are pretty self-evident about their relevance for the events in Autopsy and Fixation, I guess...