Friday, June 12, 2020

#SHEA Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist, Volume 3 (tracks 11-15)




Are you noticing a pattern yet? Playlist additions one week, new subtopic (or continuation of subtopic) the following week, lather, rinse, repeat? Seems to be the way things are evolving right now. If you’re here reading this, I guess that means you’re OK with it!

This week, we’re adding songs that represent Shaun and Lea individually. I’ve tried to include tracks that represent a little of who they are as well as their mindset towards each other, which makes for an interesting mix! Take a look/listen:

SHAUN’S SONGS…

SONG: “Left of Center” by Suzanne Vega  


Songwriter: Suzanne Vega and Steve Addabbo
Submitted by: Kelli (a.k.a. “Me”)

My first personal contribution to the Playlist is a throwback to 1986—the year before Suzanne Vega broke through with “Luka”. “Left of Center” was a contribution to the Pretty in Pink OST; a song that (to me, anyway) represented the POV of Duckie, the “best friend” in the film’s love triangle who was not-always-so-secretly in love with Andie. (Fun fact: I remain disgusted that Andie ends up with Blaine, so much so that I turn the film off after Duckie and Andie walk into the prom hand-in-hand. But, I digress…)

Though I don’t think the song is necessarily a perfect fit for someone on the autism spectrum like Shaun, I do think it’s rather relatable-- while also reflecting his early curiosities about Lea. The bridge even contains elements of something that Lea said to Shaun in 3.2 “Debts”: 
No one is like everyone. We're all unique. But we're also the same.

Bridge lyric: "I think that somehow,
somewhere inside of us...

... if not the same"




We must be similar...
SAMPLE LYRIC:
When they ask me, "What are you looking at?"
I always answer, "Nothing much" (not much)
I think they know that
I'm looking at them
I think they think I must be out of touch

But I'm only in the outskirts
And in the fringes
On the edge and, off the avenue
And if you want me
You can find me

Left of center, wondering about you



SONG: “You Are the Woman” by Firefall

Songwriter: Rick Roberts

Submitted by: Tony

Comments from Tony: In the song, particularly the verses, the singer is mentioning how it's not just the "pretty face I see" or "the clothes you wear" or "the things you do", but how the woman makes the singer feel! Definitely a good one from Shaun's perspective - describing how it's the WHOLE of Lea and how he feels when she's in his life. The chorus mentions how the singer "knew it from the start". I like to see this as coming from OUR perspective :-)

Comment from Me: 1) This is maybe the only U.S. pop hit I can think of that starts out with a flute solo. 2) It reached Billboard’s Top 10 in the fall of 1976. 3) A friend of mine decided, in her early years, that any guy that proposed to her would have to sing this song to her first!

SAMPLE LYRIC:
It's not so much the things you say to me
It's not the things you do
It's how I feel each time you're close to me
That keeps me close to you, whoa oh

You are the woman that I've always dreamed of
I knew it from the start
I saw your face and that's the last I've seen of my heart



--


LEA’S SONGS………

SONG: “Secret” by Missy Higgins


Songwriter: Missy Higgins
Submitted by: Faghost

Comments from Faghost: “This screams Lea, don’t you think? It’s like we all are spewing the lyrics at Lea, demanding answers.”

Comments from Me: ^^^ To that, I’d include various TGD characters such as Glassy, Morgan, Shaun himself…

Missy Higgins is a very successful Australian artist who has remained active in her homeland’s music scene since the early 2000s. “Secret” is a stark, menacing (and powerful) track from her 2007 album On a Clear Night. Another track of hers from this album, “Where I Stood,” has been used on Grey’s Anatomy and One Tree Hill.

SAMPLE LYRIC:
I would’ve shouted loud and broken through
I would’ve given it all to belong to you
But there were different plans, different rules
You said “where I’m from there is a lock and key
If you’d be so kind as to follow me
I will show you the way to the rest of my sins”

Cos you’ve got a secret don’t ya babe?
Yeah you, you got a secret don’t ya babe?
And I should know
Yeah I should know

HEAR IT HERE (sorry, can't find a lyric video)

--
SONG: “On + Off” by Maggie Rogers 


Songwriter: Maggie Rogers and Nick Das
Submitted by: Kelli

Comments: My second contribution to the Playlist leaps over 30 years in time (from “Left of Center,” I mean) to bring you this intriguing track by rising star Maggie Rogers… I was searching her Heard it in a Past Life album for something that fit. “On + Off” might have drawn me in from the title, but then I saw this explanation of the song from Rogers herself and I decided it made more sense than anything I could say about it!

From Maggie Rogers: “It’s a song about finding someone that grounds you and brings you emotional stability as much as it is about finding someone you have chemistry with. I think love tends to be some strange balance of the two.”

SAMPLE LYRIC:
See me through this wild tide
Stay with me through all of time
If I'm drenched in madness, tangled blues
Won't you? Oh, won't you?

[Chorus]
Take me to that place where you always go
When you're sleeping or your day takes you low, so low
When I'm on and off again, on and off again, on and off again, oh
Take me to that space when I need someone
When I'm shaking or my mind starts coming undone
When I'm on and off again, on and off again, on and off again
You turn me on like




--

SONG: “Far Away” by Nickelback

Songwriter: Maggie Rogers and Nick Das
Submitted by: Amy Danko

Comments from Amy: “Nickelback gets a bad rap in the United States. I've never been sure why, and I admit, I haven't liked most of their recent stuff, but their 2005 album features one of my (way too many) all-time favorite songs, and when I was rewatching ‘I Love You’ for the first time, every scene with Lea made me think of Nickelback's ‘Far Away.’ For me, this song said what she was feeling during that long night, and what she wanted most.”

Comment from Me: I, too, have been guilty in the past of Nickleback-shaming, but I agree with Amy… this captures Lea’s dark night of the earthquake-shaken soul, and captures it well.”


SAMPLE LYRIC:
This time, this place
Misused mistakes
Too long, too late
Who was I to make you wait

Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know, you know, you know

I love you
I've loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long





Remember, this project is continuing to evolve… if you’ve got a #Shea-suitable song (or songs) to suggest, check out this post to find out how to do it!

(And if you submitted six songs a while back and are eager to submit more, go ahead… just know I’m trying to get all contributors represented and still haven’t hit that mark quite yet. Hopefully that’ll change by Volume 4!)

6 comments:

Tony said...

Excellent job, Kelli! I was starting to wonder if your pattern was intentional - now I know!

I love all of the songs in this group, and how the journey of Shaun & Lea has been deep enough to elicit batches of appropriate songs from quite a few fans!

I'll take you up on your offer for more songs. I'll include four more - to round it up to an even 10. These come from different points along that deep journey!

7. Everyday - Phil Collins
Writer: Phil Collins
Lyric Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdHIFjH7b1I

I mentioned in a previous post that I had several Phil Collins/Genesis songs handy. Others include "Can't Stop Loving You", "You Can't Hurry Love", "True Colors", and "Invisible Touch". I went for the saddest one of the bunch, partly because this one was written solely by Phil (and wasn't a remake); but also because of where it falls along the Shaun & Lea journey.

I think back to Season 1, after Lea had gone back to Hershey. I remember seeing Shaun sitting alone in his apartment, sniffing that pine tree air freshener. Even though he wasn't at the point of professing romantic feelings (much less communicating them), losing a kindred spirit so soon after a life-changing road trip was a major blow. Shaun had no idea at that point that Lea would return. Nor did we, since Paige wasn't announced as a regular until the end of the season. And with the idea of Lea being gone, it's easy to imagine the sorrow within that moment.

As the song says near the end of the first verse and into the chorus:

So everyday I cry
Yes everyday I fall
Do you ever wonder why,
Why I love everything about you

But everyday I say I'll try
to make my heart be still
'Til then every way there is to cry,
ourselves to sleep we will



8. Back For Good - Take That
Writer: Gary Barlow
Lyric Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_J-6EarL3Y

I hesitate to pick a song where the verses aren't the most situation-specific, but the chorus is so on-point to Shaun & Lea that it just resonates so well for me.

Along the way to realizing and declaring their mutual love - and then acting on it - there were some hard things said. Going back to Season 2 and the "go back to Hershey" speech, to the back-to-back exchange of harsh words in Episodes 17 and 18 during Season 3. The chorus of this song is about overcoming the pain of those words - especially if those words weren't necessarily true.

As that chorus goes:

Whatever I said, whatever I did
I didn't mean it
I just want you back for good

Whenever I'm wrong
Just tell me the song and I'll sing it
You'll be right and understood
I want you back for good

Tony said...

9. Change Your Mind - Sister Hazel
Writer: Ken Block
Lyric Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71KdkbT7FKA

This song isn't particularly meant to be romantic, but rather life-inspiring. One of the reasons I enjoy Shaun and Lea to the degree I do is because of what they bring to each other's lives. The song comes at the end of the 2000 movie Bedazzled, and I find it Shea-fitting when I really think about the lyrics.

We've talked before about how it's easy for each of them to feel "unworthy" or "limited". Lea listed a trio of words that made it clear to us that she saw herself as the former in Autopsy, while Shaun's subconscious-as-Steve used the latter term on himself in Hurt. Yet, being just who they are is what has made Shaun and Lea BOTH realize just how they make each other more.

Of course they will continue to develop and grow. But if there's any thought about either of them needing to change the ESSENCE of who they are...well...as the Bridge and Chorus go:

Hey hey
what ya say
We both go and seize the day
'cause what's your hurry
what's your hurry anyway

Yeah yeah, I hope you heard every word I've said
Yeah yeah
You've had enough of all your tryin'
Just give up the state of mind you're in

If you want to be somebody else,
If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself
If you want to be somebody else
Change your mind


10. That's When I Love You - Phil Vassar
Writers: Phil Vassar, Julie Wood
Lyric Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRqYJfSYBk

An uptempo, positive country song that not only captures key Shaun & Lea moments, but also the depth of their relationship.

The verses give us gems like:
- "driving in your car"
- "dance and sing to the radio"
- "when I hear you softly say my name"
- "when you're walking underneath the stars"
- "when you're talking on the phone"

And then the depth comes in the chorus:
When you smile that way
I know, every night and every day

That's when I love you, when I need you
When I care about you
That's when I know, without a doubt
That I can't live without you

Every day I find another reason
Every season we go through
And every little thing you do
That's when I love you

Amy D said...

Of the original songs you posted about, Kelli, I only know "Far Away" and "You Are the Woman," so I'm looking forward to checking the others out.

And Tony, I know three of your four; not being a big country fan, I'm not familiar with Phil Vassar.

I don't know that this is particularly specific to Shea, but it's one of my more current favorites, and I realized it could kind of fit, and that I hope the overarching message of the song ultimately WILL fit for Shea:


"Photograph" by Ed Sheeran

Loving can hurt
Loving can hurt sometimes
But it's the only thing I know
When it gets hard
You know, it can get hard sometimes
It is the only thing that makes us feel alive

We keep this love in a photograph
We made these memories for ourselves
Where our eyes are never closing
Hearts are never broken
Time's forever frozen still

So you can keep me
Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans
Holdin' me closer 'til our eyes meet
You won't ever be alone
Wait for me to come home

Loving can heal
Loving can mend your soul
And it's the only thing that I know, know
I swear it will get easier
Remember that with every piece of you
Mmm, and it's the only thing we take with us when we die
Mmm

We keep this love in a photograph
We made these memories for ourselves
Where our eyes are never closing
Hearts were never broken
Time's forever frozen still

So you can keep me
Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans
Holdin' me closer 'til our eyes meet
You won't ever be alone

And if you hurt me
Well, that's okay, baby
Only words bleed
Inside these pages you just hold me
I won't ever let you go

Wait for me to come home
Wait for me to come home
Wait for me to come home
Wait for me to come home

Oh, you can fit me inside the necklace you got when you were sixteen
Next to your heartbeat where I should be
Keep it deep within your soul

And if you hurt me
Well, that's okay, baby
Only words bleed
Inside these pages you just hold me
I won't ever let you go

When I'm away
I will remember how you kissed me
Under the lamppost back on Sixth Street
Hearin' you whisper through the phone,
"Wait for me to come home."


Shaun and Lea have already discovered that loving can hurt sometimes, but they're also discovering that loving can heal and can mend your soul. To me, that's the overarching message of "Photograph": that even when they hurt each other, even when the words bleed, the love is enough to make up for it, to keep them fighting for each other and their love, waiting for one another to come home. The memories they've made so far may not be contained in actual photographs that we've seen in the literal sense, but Shaun (and we) waited for Lea to come home from Hershey, and of course "You won't ever be alone" is a sentence that packs a big emotional punch for both Shaun and Lea.

Amy D said...

And I just realized I forgot the link to the lyrics:

"Photograph" by Ed Sheeran, lyrics video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgmXPCX4VzU

Faghost said...

Superb job, Kelli! I'm now compiling new list from this ultimate list.

You guys are the best!

And, I know I have like way more than one six-pack, lol, but there was this kid in the hospital who likes to sing apparently. One song she kept humming is:

Hailee Steinfeld, Alesso - Let Me Go (feat. Florida Georgia Line, WATT)

I swear I was itching to give you this one song for the SHEA playlist, but I didn't bring my laptop and I couldn't bear to see a bright screen, anyway--let alone to operate a smartphone.

I know this is a very well known song, from 3 or 4 years back, and there's possibility that someone has already made a suggestion, but here's the lyrics:

You made plans and I, I made problems
We were sleeping back to back
We know this thing wasn't built to last
Good on paper, picture perfect
Chased the high too far, too fast
Picket white fence, but we paint it black

Ooh, and I wished you would hurt me harder than I hurt you
Ooh, and I wish you wouldn't wait for me but you always do

I've been hoping somebody loves you in the ways I couldn't
Somebody's taking care of all of the mess I made
Someone you don't have to change
I've been hoping
Someone will love you, let me go
Someone will love you, let me go
I've been hoping
Someone will love you, let me go

Spend some time, but this time ain't even
I could leave it in the past but you're holding on to what you never had
Good on paper, picture perfect
Chased the high too far, too fast
Picket white fence, but we paint it blackOoh, and I wished you would hurt me harder than I hurt you
Ooh, and I wish you wouldn't wait for me but you always do

I've been hoping somebody loves you in the ways I couldn't
Somebody's taking care of all of the mess I made
Someone you don't have to change
I've been hoping
Someone will love you, let me go
Someone will love you, let me go
I've been hoping
Someone will love you, let me go (go, go, go)
Someone will love you, let me go (go, go, go)
Someone will love you, let me go (go, go, go)
Someone will love you, let me go (go, go, go)
Someone will love you, let me go

I've been hoping somebody loves you in the ways I couldn't
Somebody's taking care of all of the mess I made
Someone you don't have to change
I've been hoping
Someone will love you, let me go

--My thoughts are just... this is definitely Lea's pov, isn't it? Lea's pov before she mustered up courage to take a chance on her love for Shaun, that is..

"You made plans, and I, I made problems." come on. The rest of the lyrics is perfectly expressing Lea's fear.
"Ooh, and I wished you would hurt me harder than I hurt you" I bet she was thinking this during and post-3.17/18..
"Ooh, and I wish you wouldn't wait for me but you always do" I bet she was thinking it during the walkie-talkie scene in 3.19 or those time in season 2.

Kelli Lawrence said...

Faghost, just letting you know I saw this (and your other comments on posts from today, 6/22)... good timing because I've gotten several new suggestions that I need to add to the big songbank for future volumes of the playlist... I'll be sure to add this one too :) Thanks!