Friday, May 29, 2020

#SHEA Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist, Volume 2 (tracks 6-10)




Again, THANKS SO MUCH for all the Ultimate S.O.S. Playlist suggestions! Keep them coming!

As you recall, the first five songs (which I’m calling Volume 1) were more about Shaun and Lea in general. I’ve got more from that “category” and will share them another day. This time around, I’m focusing on the FUTURE #Shea… songs that seem to point to S4 onward. Let’s go—

**

SONG: “Invincible” by Muse  

Songwriter: Matt Bellamy

Submitted by: Rose Amelie

Comments from Rose Amelie: 
“I think fits perfectly with #Shea because the lyrics are related with the challenges that Shaun and Lea must face in their new romantic relationship… This song is a ‘courage theme’. Their first weeks as couple will be important, and many people will say something about that (Glassy we can hear you!). But the consequence of the earthquake is the new chance to find the happiness that #Shea deserves.”

SAMPLE LYRIC:
During the struggle
They will pull us down
But please, please
Let's use this chance
To turn things around
And tonight
We can truly say
Together we're invincible


HEAR IT HERE (dual language!)

**

SONG: “Life is Beautiful” by Vega4

Songwriters: Nic Cester/Cameron Muncey
Submitted by: Faghost

Comments from me: 
Here’s another British band that isn’t well known in the States, but this particular song (which reminds me a bit of Snow Patrol’s “Chasing Cars”) has been featured in TV and film numerous times, including episodes of Grey’s Anatomy and One Tree Hill. Which might be why Faghost says of this choice…

“This song is, I think, very common…but it makes me think of that 3.20 kissing scene and for the future, no?”

Me, I kind of see it as the music beneath an all-#Shea edition of the S4 trailer.

Sample Lyrics

Life is beautiful
But it's complicated
We barely make it
We don't need
To understand
There are miracles
Miracles



**

SONG: “Follow You, Follow Me” by Genesis
Songwriters: Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins
Submitted by: Sonya

Comments from me: 
Genesis was a progressive rock band from England in the 1970s that traded Phil Collins for Peter Gabriel somewhere around 1976, and then slowly morphed into a bestselling pop-rock band from England in the 80s and 90s. “Follow You, Follow Me” was their first Billboard Hot 100 hit in the U.S., and was decidedly more sentimental lyrically than earlier Genesis efforts.
 
The end result? A simple, timeless sentiment that captures #Shea’s future… and perhaps started in the past, thinking back to when Shaun wanted to leave San Jose and “follow” Lea…

Sample Lyrics

With the dark,
Oh I see so very clearly now
All my fears are drifting by me so slowly now
Fading away

I can say
The night is long but you are here
Close at hand, oh I'm better for the smile you give
And while I live
I will follow you will you follow me…


**

SONG: “Portuguese Love Song” by Craig Armstrong (from the Love, Actually OST)
Songwriter: Craig Armstrong
Submitted by: Rose Amelie

Comment from me: 
I mentioned when I first put out the call for Playlist entries that instrumentals were welcome too… and so far, two readers have taken up the baton with non-lyric suggestions! This is one of them.

Comment from Rose Amelie: 
Love, Actually is a film that shows beautiful stories, all of them with different kinds of love. “Portuguese Love Song” is for two people who fall in love in an unexpected way, with many differences, and in a situation that made being together almost impossible. But both decided to change that, and finally be a couple. Like Shaun and Lea.

“#Shea is a couple who needs to be brave and face together many fears, questions and challenges. But they already have the most important thing: the love for each other.”


**

SONG: “Where My Heart Will Take Me” by Russell Watson
Songwriter: Diane Warren
Submitted by: Andreas

Comment from Andreas:
“The lyrics of this song describe Shaun and Lea after the last scene of season 3, taking off to season 4 with the best hopes for their future… It took almost 3 years, but Shaun and Lea finally dare to love each other. Shaun does no longer listen to others but to his heart. Lea isn’t held back by her self-doubt anymore.”


Sample Lyrics:

It's been a long road, getting from there to here
It's been a long time, but my time is finally near
And I can feel a change in the wind right now, nothing's in my way
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No they're not gonna hold me down

'Cuz I've got faith of the heart, I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul, no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith, I've got faith, faith of the heart

Comment from me:
Diane Warren wrote—not much of an exaggeration here—EVERY. THING. On pop radio (and some country, and some R&B) in the U.S. and probably elsewhere in the 1990s. For fellow songwriters like myself, this made her annoying as hell. BUT she clearly knew how to write compelling songs for the times with mass appeal.

Andreas came upon this version by (yet another Brit!) Russell Watson—a singer with a repertoire similar to America’s Josh Groban—which was apparently used as the theme for Star Trek Enterprise. In the U.S., this same song was actually an adult contemporary hit for Rod Stewart in 1998 when he recorded it for the soundtrack of the Robin Williams film Patch Adams. Back then the song was known by its original title “Faith of the Heart.” (So if you’re like me, and wonder ‘where have I heard this before?’… that’s where.)


And that’s Volume 2 of the Playlist!

Remember, this project is continuing to evolve… if you’ve got a #Shea-suitable song (or songs) to suggest, check out this post to find out how to do it!

(And you can simply leave your suggestion in the comments, or Tweet it to me, but I may follow up with a question or two.)

5 comments:

Tony said...

I just LOVE the possibilities that the future can bring! And I truly believe that Shaun & Lea can grow and prosper in a way that still makes for good TV.

Just a quick pointer, Kelli. I think the hyperlink to check out this post didn't take. Or at least it didn't for me. In case anyone's interested in seeing your instructions, below is the link to that particular post by Kelli (you'll need to copy/paste):
http://stateoftheskate.blogspot.com/2020/05/shea-ultimate-sos-playlist-call-for.html

Great song selections - and much kudos to all who shared! I loved re-hearing some songs originally used in some other works (like Love, Actually and One Tree Hill that work oh-so perfectly for our favorite fictional Wyomingite and Pennsylvanian.

By the way, I have my own little subset within my Shea playlist for songs by Genesis/Phil Collins. I LOVE Sonya's pick of "Follow You, Follow Me" - very fitting and GREAT taste!

Keep the goodies coming, Kelli. You've made this inter-season hiatus VERY enjoyable - always with something to look forward to!

Amy D said...

I came up with a couple of songs that fit into this category. In the past couple of weeks, I've given some thought to songs that I hope will be very fitting for Shaun and Lea in season 4, and these are the two I keep coming back to.

"Your Love Is My Home" by The Light The Heat

"You are the sunrise waking my day
You are the moonlight shining my way
This is where I call home
You are the fire warming my night
With you I'll stay till the morning light
This is where I call home
This is where I call home

"Your love is like no other
Your love is where I feel alive
My safety and my shelter
Your love is my home

"You are the harbor set on my shore
You are the shelter from every storm
This is where I call home
When I'm lost at sea in waters unknown
You are the current pulling me close
This is where I call home
This is where I call home

"Your love is like no other
Your love is where I feel alive
My safety and my shelter
Your love is my home

"Your love has won me over
I'll always stay here by your side
My safety and my shelter
Your love is my home
Hoooomme

"In the sun or rain
In the joy or pain
You will be my home, yeah
In the dark or light
Through the hardest fight
You will be my home, yeah
In the sun or rain
In the joy or pain
You will be my home, yeah
In the dark or light
Through the hardest fight
You will be my home, yeah

"Your love is like no other
Your love is where I feel alive
My safety and my shelter
Your love is my home

"Your love has won me over
I'll always stay here by your side
My safety and my shelter
Your love is my home
Hoooome
Hoooome
Hoooome"


Shaun and Lea won each other over simply by being themselves. Their love is a safety, a shelter, and a home for one another. At least, I'm hoping that's what we'll see in season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junCzfVOIIU


The other song is by one of my favorite bands, which is not noted for love songs but every once in a while they come up with a great one: "Overjoyed" by Matchbox Twenty.

"Feeling my hands start shaking
Hearing your voice I'm overjoyed
I'm sorry but I have no choice
You're only getting better
Maybe you have your reasons
Maybe you're scared you'll be let down
Are you crying when there's no one around
Then maybe

"Maybe if you hold me, baby
Let me come over
I will tell you secrets nobody knows
I cannot overstate it
I will be overjoyed

"That smile on your face, like summer
The way that your hand keeps touching mine
Let me be the one to make it right
And maybe

"Maybe let me hold you, baby
Let me come over
I will tell you secrets nobody knows
I cannot overstate it
I will be overjoyed

"And if you want we'll share this life
Any time you need a friend
I'm gonna be by your side
When nobody understands you
Well, I do

"So maybe let me hold you, baby
Let me come over
I will tell you secrets God only knows
I cannot overstate it
I will be overjoyed

"Baby
Let me come over
I will tell you secrets nobody knows
I cannot overstate it
I will be overjoyed

"Well, I will be overjoyed
Well, I will be overjoyed"

I'm overjoyed that Shaun and Lea are finally together. I think most, if not all, of you are too! And they do tell each other things that nobody else knows, especially Lea telling Shaun about her family and her problems. And they understand each other in a way no one else does. So yeah, I definitely hope this song is fitting for Shea in season 4!

I couldn't find a video that had the lyrics right, so this is the official video for "Overjoyed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg6r-IeH7ss

Kelli Lawrence said...

Aw, Tony, thanks for the catch! I've forgotten the link before but was able to fix it before anyone noticed!

If you like, hang on to your Genesis/PC subset for later... or, go ahead and email it to me with any others beyond the list I already have... some have sent me many more than "the six-pack"! I'll get to them sooner or later!

Tony said...

I see the link up and running perfectly - nice! I'll hold onto my next set of songs for a little while longer - but you can bet I've got more in store :-)

Amy, you and I share an interest in Matchbox Twenty. They've been one of my favorite bands for a long time! I was soooo looking forward to seeing them later this year, until...well...2020. I've been fortunate to see them before - and will again, once the reschedule is in place (which IMO is the right thing to do), and agree that "Overjoyed" is a wonderful Shea song!

Amy D said...

Matchbox Twenty is one of my favorite bands too, Tony. The first time I heard "Real World," which was, I think, back in 1998 or '99, I loved the song and had to find out who the group was, and I've got all of their CDs (and two of Rob Thomas's solo albums; oddly, I love his first solo effort, and his third solo album, but I didn't really like his second or fourth solo albums overall). I've never been lucky enough to see them in concert in person (I have watched their 2012 London iTunes Festival performance multiple times at YouTube, though, which is the closest I've gotten to seeing them in concert), but I did see where they cancelled their tour for this year because of COVID-19 and decided to reschedule it for next year, and I agree that it's absolutely the right thing to do.

Actually, speaking of Rob Thomas's solo albums, I found a song he did solo from 5 years ago that might speak to Shea in season 4: "Hold on Forever."

"Another night and here we are again
All our faults laid out ahead
Let it out, then let it right back in
All those voices in your head

"And we both know everything, but we can't learn to leave
So I'll tell you what you need

"First thing, we make you feel better
Next stop, we pull it all together
I'll keep you warm like a sweater
Take my hand, hold on forever
Just fall apart if you need to
I'm here and I won't leave you now
Don't look down
Hold on forever

"Lay down all your troubles end to end
They could reach up to the stars
So many roads, you don't know where you've been
But you still know who you are

"And if I seem preoccupied, I'm wondering what to do
So here's my recipe for you


"First thing, we make you feel better
Next stop, we pull it all together
I'll keep you warm like a sweater
Take my hand, hold on forever
Just fall apart if you need to
I'm here and I won't leave you now
Don't look down
Hold on forever

"And we both know everything, but we can't learn to leave
So I'll tell you what you need

"First thing, we make you feel better
Next stop, we pull it all together
I'll keep you warm like a sweater
Take my hand, hold on forever
Just fall apart if you need to
I'm here and I won't leave you now
Don't look down
Hold on forever

"Just take my hand, hold on forever
Hold on forever
Just take my hand, hold on forever"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JESuKSbqkIc

We've discussed here how Shaun can get preoccupied with a case--the ice cream headache being the most recent example--but he still ultimately is thinking of Lea: getting Glassman to interview her for a job. And we're all pretty sure his preoccupation with work will continue and be something that he and Lea will have to work out.

"Just fall apart if you need to/I'm here and I won't leave you now" sums up the last scene from "Friends & Family" last season. I'm REALLY hoping Shaun gets to reciprocate that and be there for Lea when she falls apart at some point in season 4.

And of course, I'm hoping that Shea take each other's hand and hold on forever.