Friday, March 27, 2020

State of the #SHEA part 15: The "Hurt" that Helps




There’s a sizable fleet of writers on TGD who handle scripts both solo, and as part of a team. And when the show takes on a two-part episode, as it’s now done once for each season it has been on the air, it also takes on the challenge of not only setting up/resolving more complex plotlines, but creating enough conflict, engagement, and tension throughout the first part to hook us through to the second. I suppose there are those out there who were simply intrigued with the earthquake concept, and more or less “tolerated” the individual stories to see what the cliffhanger final three minutes would bring—after all, “Hurt” appears to have pulled in more viewers than any season 3 episode to date (6.81 million viewers; a 1.0 ratings share) Those might be the same viewers who griped about how the earthquake didn’t look authentic enough. (Don’t ask me, I’m a Midwesterner… we get a lot more tornados than earthquakes!)

Anyway… when Shaun and Lea took their Road Trip to Remember in “Islands Pts. 1 and 2,” their words in both parts were written by the same two people (Thomas L. Moran and William Rotko). “Quarantine Pts. 1 and 2,” on the other hand, had the same director for both parts—Mike Listo, who also happened to direct the “Hurt” episode—but 2 different writing teams. Of course, Shaun and Lea didn’t have any scenes together until the very end of “Quarantine,” and they were in the very platonic, nicely settled-in roommate phase of their relationship back then.

Hardly the case now, which could have made it all the more difficult for the writing team behind “Hurt” (Liz Friedman and Adam Scott Weissman) to sync up with whatever’s to come with Earthquake pt. 2, a.k.a.  “I Love You” (written by Weissman, David Hostleton, and David Shore). But I really liked what I saw in part 1—plenty of points for discussion; some of them stand on their own, others depend on part 2 for resolution. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that at least a few of the items on my “Hurt” wish list were addressed, even with the quake hitting before the opening credits even made it to the screen. (Efficient storytelling strikes again!)

I’ll run through my list from the previous post (in bold) as we make our way through this episode…

What’s the timespan on the show between the parking garage scene in “Heartbreak” and the start of “Hurt”?

In the opening pre-shaken minutes of “Hurt” we saw Melendez encounter Lea at the bar of the brewpub as she ordered two Klosch beers. Was she there with a friend? No… “It’s been a rough couple of weeks,” she said
CUT IT OUT, Glassy
in explanation. Which answers a later wish list question of mine. Then she gets a savage evil eye from Glassman, standing a few yards away. Which answers yet A LATER wish list question of mine. (Damn, Friedman & Weissman did this well.) Plus, we later see that Morgan’s hand surgery was so recent—less than 2 days ago—that she’s still officially a patient, with the hospital gown to prove it. She hadn’t yet scheduled the surgery when we last saw her, so again, a two-week span from “Heartbreak” to “Hurt” seems about right.

…I want to know if Shaun has told Glassman (or anyone else) what he almost did to Lea’s car…

This is still uncertain, as it was only referenced this past Monday night by way of the (lengthy) recap of previous episodes at the top of the show. I’m going to guess, for now, that both Shaun and Lea are keeping the incident to themselves.

How are Shaun and Lea doing, individually, prior to the earthquake?

For once, interestingly enough, we have a little more of a direct read on Lea than Shaun for this. When I initially heard she’d be at the fundraiser, I thought she was going as a guest of Glassman’s. Hardly! She went on her own, perhaps in an effort to forget her troubles (“It’s been a rough couple of weeks”) and get happy in her so-called superficial, selfish way. Just her luck that she endures an earthquake and falls through the floor instead…

Andreas also noted that not only do we have shots of Lea “bookending” this episode—it starts with her ordering her beer(s) at the brewpub bar and ends with that GORGEOUS closeup as Shaun’s possible fate
Natural disaster glam
becomes frightfully clear to her—but in what seems like a TGD first, neither “bookend” shot pairs Lea directly with Shaun. This could bode well for those of us pleading for more character development for Lea in S4 (hand raised high here).

As for Shaun? There’s not enough of him in hospital mode to tell anything, but arguably his entire, immediate effort to find and rescue Lea conveys much of what he’s felt and continues to feel. 

And of course his stellar “Lea makes me… more” monologue contained no trace of the anger in “Heartbreak”—though his sadness behind the current state of things was palpable. (As was Lea’s… we’ll get back to that.)

Are we privy to any conversation, pre-earthquake, between Lea and Glassman?
No, but again, that look… it’s still making me uneasy.

What is Shaun’s new encounter with GhostSteve about?

Wow, did THAT scene generate a lot of Twitter conversation. The last time we saw Steve ahead of “Hurt,” he was calming Shaun’s first-surgery worries in the middle of the night… remember?

STEVE: Surgery’s the easy-peasy part.
(SHAUN sees STEVE’s head emerge from the top bunk of a bunkbed they are sharing)
STEVE: You wanted this. Enjoy it.
SHAUN: I can’t… if I get distracted, if I get upset…
STEVE: If you do, Andrews has your back.
SHAUN: If Dr. Andrews has to take over, then I have failed.
I have failed, and I have endangered a person’s life… and if I’m no good at the easy-peasy part, then what part am I good at?
STEVE: What do we do when we get all nutty like this?
SHAUN (thinks a moment): Blow out the candles.
STEVE: How many do you need?
SHAUN (thinks further): Three.
(STEVE disappears; SHAUN leans back on his pillow and exhales deeply through his mouth three times)

Flash forward to the Steve that Shaun encountered beneath the rubble in “Hurt.” Just the way he appeared—not in a kindly, I’m-by-your-side-
BOO!
whenever-you-need-me kind of way, but more like a scary, head-on, out-of-nowhere thing—was a jarring indication that this ‘visit” might not be like the others.

Why? The recurring reason I’ve seen proposed (and agree with) is that GhostSteve was this time representing Shaun’s internal dialogue—which, especially at this point in the season, has become rather savage. Just take Shaun’s actual lines out of the scene, and imagine him talking to himself instead:

You should be up there, doing your job…
You think rescuing Lea will make her fall in love with you.
It won’t. I used to believe in you… right now, I don’t.
She doesn’t love you. She told you.
She thinks you’re limited. You ARE.
      You are not her hero.

It doesn’t sound like GhostSteve because it isn’t GhostSteve.

I find it especially interesting, for all the discussion of “Love” this season (including its role in the title of the upcoming finale), Shaun/Steve is now telling himself that Lea doesn’t love him. Half of us probably rolled our eyes at that and said Oh, man, not you too (GhostSteve-as-Shaun’s-demons)? She DOES love him; I heard her say it herself! But in light of everything that’s been said and done since the moments those words were spoken by the two of them, it doesn’t FEEL like she loves him. When she said it, there was that momentarily flicker of joy on his face… but now, I wonder if he even remembers that moment.

Does Shaun actually find Lea and/or bring her to safety in this episode?  My guess is no… could it be that she gets out, either on her own or with assistance, while Shaun’s still deep into the crumbling structure looking for her?


And that’s exactly where we are, though that ambulance tailgate shot in the promo was a pretty big clue. Turns out it’s true… Shaun really isn’t “her hero” in that Lim and other first responders pulled her out first. But for at least two reasons I can think of right now, that’s good news for both of them.

1)   Shaun required himself to set aside his need to find Lea when he encountered Vera instead. He was able to get away with his singular search early in the episode, when the brewpub’s co-owner was in danger of permanent paralysis until a little burst of Shaun-Vision® spared her… but the second after he got his warning communicated to Claire and Melendez, he said “I need to find Lea.” And off he went. By the time he encountered Vera (and made his little “Hmm” sound of surprise/unexpectedness, which is somehow becoming one of my favorite expressions of his), his options were much more stark: somehow bypass this woman who clearly did need his help urgently (and keep seeking out a woman who very well might not), or put his own “fix it” needs aside and do his job.

Considering his trajectory of late, I’m guessing this decision was, for at least a moment, more difficult than Dr. Murphy ever realized it could be. But he made the right choice—and another step in his evolution was achieved.

2)   As things stood by episode’s end, Lea is now in a prime position to help save Shaun (rather than the other way around). Whether she knows he went “rogue” exclusively to try and help her is unclear to me; I’m not sure it would benefit either of them if she does know. But I think about the good that can come out of this dire situation—the boost it would give Lea’s flagging self-confidence, the power that the right words from her could have on him when he needs them most, the lessons in trust and surrender that might abound, especially for Shaun—and I’m even more eager for next Monday’s finale to come than I already am, if that’s possible.
 
Finally, I want to give a shout out to this device and the way it’s being utilized for #Shea’s quake saga. It made perfect sense for Shaun to be armed with a two-way radio as he searched the depths of the building, and it also made sense for Lim to tell him to keep the channel completely open (rather than open only when he pushes a button to speak) so that she could hear him at all times. So it doesn’t seem terribly contrived for Lea to be sitting there, walky-talky in hand, listening along. Sure we could quibble about the details—how did she happen to come across this particular radio tuned to that particular frequency, why is she able to hang on to it when someone in authority might need one, etc.—but it’s such a great way to move things along for them, I’m almost ready to call it another form of catapulting. But I want to see how it’s used in “I Love You” before entering that discussion.

Later this weekend I plan to do a post featuring what other #Shea fans have said they’d specifically like to see in the finale. I posed the question on Twitter the other day, but feel free to put your guesses in the Comments section of this post and I might share those too.

16 comments:

Andreas said...

Wonderful recap Kelli. Shaun’s inner dialogue and his more-monologue are truly the epicenter of this earthquake-episode. So many layers in so few lines!

Now Kelli, you got an even better version of your trapped-in-the-elevator wish with the walky-talkies, haven’t you? This will be interesting to watch in 3.20. We already know from the promo that Lea will switch from listening to talking. This could be a real chance for her character to shine (and have more lines than usual for once, perhaps even explain herself to the audience?). A beacon of hope for trapped Shaun - who is not the best swimmer, remember 1.14 “She”?

I’m amazed how much references this episode held to season 1, most obvious 1.11 “Islands Part One”. All his reasons for falling in love with Lea go back to this very episode and where just reinforced in season 2.

So, the earthquake shook them up both, now their character development can start anew.

By the way, I can’t take the credit for spotting the bookending alone but must share it with Reddit user wealdgeese, who saw it too and provided me with the English term for this structural device I lacked. So big thanks to them! ;)

Tony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony said...

Great episode, GREAT recap!

First off, BRAVO to the show for giving us some insight into Lea's feelings. While a lot of the "why" still has to be answered, we do know that (1) the recent events have taken their toll on her emotionally to the point of crashing a charity event and double-fisting some booze; (2) Shaun's "she makes me more" speech touched her to the core; and (3) she is VERY concerned about the flooding situation.

While the harsh words from the past couple of episodes cannot simply be forgotten, they also don't have to be a person's - or relationship's - defining moments. It's easy to say "they hurt each other, that's too much of a rebuild". But people are certainly capable of hurting the ones they love. I know I've said some things that I ended up being very sorry for (sometimes just a moment after I said them).

So I don't buy the "too much of a rebuild" or "those harsh words should be taken at face-value" arguments. Especially when those unfortunate words are coming at emotional extreme-points. There will be time for accountability and personal assessment - once everyone is out of life-threatening danger. Perhaps a theme for Season 4 (other areas of assessment: Park and his son; Andrews and his career rebuild; Claire/Melendez/Lim and their own aspirations; Morgan and her priorities)???

As a Lea fan, I find it VERY encouraging that a good number of social media comments are predicting Lea to run back in there and die in her efforts. Why, you might ask? Because I'm now convinced that the vast number of these predictions make that outcome TOO predictable! And besides, love or hate, it would be foolish for a TV show by a profit-seeking entity such as ABC/Disney to remove a much-talked about character absent a real-life necessary reason.

Two more reasons for optimism: (1) the fact that the Season 2 finale twist came at Lea's EXPENSE. Surely they wouldn't do that 2 seasons in a row?!?, (2) After a string of heartbreaking episode endings for Shaun, we're due for a happy finish.

As to something specific I'd like to see in the finale, here's my single-biggest hope: Lea correcting Shaun's "but I don't make HER more" statement. Because he very much does, and she KNOWS he does.

Amy D said...

Only two people who love each other deeply can hurt each other as deeply as Shaun and Lea have hurt each other in the recent episodes. Glassy's side-eye was EPIC, because for all intents and purposes, Shaun is his son, and Lea broke his son's heart. And Glassman might feel some responsibility for Shaun's heartbreak because Glassman was the one who asked Shaun, "What if Lea says 'I love you too, Shaun'?" Which she did, but neither Shaun nor Glassman predicted what she would say after that.

Given that there are still first responders in the building, along with the trapped Shaun, and at least Dr. Park with his teenage patient that I don't think will make it out of there alive, I don't believe for one second that Lea is going to be allowed in the building. Even if she tries, they'll stop her. That's WHY she's going to be talking to Shaun on the walkie-talkie: it's the only link she has to him for now!

Shaun's speech about Lea making him more was BEAUTIFUL! I wasn't expecting that, and I REALLY wasn't expecting Lea to hear it, but I'm overjoyed that she DID hear it. It had a definite impact on her.

Shaun and Lea CAN rebuild from this destruction, and I am very hopeful that they will. We've been told everyone is going to be changed by this earthquake. They will all be re-evaluating their lives, and what's truly important. Faced with the prospect of having the choice taken away from her in the most cruel manner imaginable, faced with a world with no Shaun Murphy in it at all, this is where Lea has to decide if whatever it is she's afraid of is worth never taking the leap of faith into a romantic relationship with Shaun at all.

Amy D said...

I agree with you, Tony, about wanting Lea to tell Shaun in no uncertain terms that he DOES make her MORE, as she does for him.

I also said on Twitter that, although it might be unlikely, I would really love it if Shaun emerges from the rubble completely drenched, and Lea, so relieved and so overwhelmed with joy and gratitude and love to see him, runs to him and launches herself at him in a big hug as she's crying, and Shaun hugs her back. Seeing Shaun hug Lea like he hugged Glassman in the season 1 finale, and in the episode where he had his meltdown about ending up alone and Glassman assured Shaun he would never get tired of Shaun, is something that I REALLY want to see, if not in "I Love You," then definitely in season 4.

Andreas said...

Amy D, Shaun's monologue hit me like a thunderstroke. I swear I said something very similar to a woman some years back! The writers are reading my mind… :D

Unfortunately, I didn’t work the magic for me, but then, this was real-life, and Shaun & Lea are fiction. So, let hope prevail.

Tony, I’m inclined to say that we got more about Lea ever since her “I’m pathetic” speech in 2.7 “Hubert”. But as always with The Good Doctor, the show did hide it a little – or a lot. Because we got another song in the opening scene with Lea at the brewpub. I’ve some ideas about that and I invite you all to share your thoughts with me since I’m still an apprentice in lyrics… ;)

This time, it was “Name On A Matchbook” by Springtime Carnivore

[refrain] So long, so long/
Until you prove me wrong./
So long, so long/
Until you prove me wrong./

Shaun and Lea are dancing around each other since season 1. Lea does not think a romantic relationship would work (3.16 “Autopsy”), but she also longs for Shaun to prove her wrong (better than in 3.17 “Fixation”)

Stranger to me now, coming too close,/
Coming too close for comfort./
When the sun went down/
Midnight pass on the air./
I sound so sure, maybe in another life/
Maybe at another time./

Was there somewhere before,/
I wonder as I shut the door./

The confrontation with the baseball bat has left a deep scar in Lea. They are now more estranged than ever. At the moment, she has lost any hope. But the door is not closed forever.

[refrain]

I got your name on a matchbook,/
I'll leave your things in the past./

Both won’t let go of each other. Lea might be willing to forgive Shaun.

[refrain]

I leave your books unread,/
Your mouth un-kissed,/
Your bed can stay unmade./

They don’t understand each other and they can’t be close at the moment.

I've stepped too easily/
Into possibilities./

For years now, Lea has fled into her unhealthy ways of coping, such as hooking up with out-of-work drummers, stress-eating/drinking instead on working on a stable relationship.

Is it wrong that I want more,/
I wonder as I shut the door./

Lea gave up on changing Shaun in 2.6 “Two-Ply (or Not Two-Ply)” She also wonders if she ever will be able to change her current, unstable life.

[refrain]

I got your name on a matchbook,/
I'll leave your things in the past./

[refrain]

Amy D said...

Excellent analysis, Andreas! I agree with your assessment a hundred percent!

The ball is really in Lea's court now. Shaun lashed out in anger and pain, and they both have to work to fix this--their relationship, not fix or change one another, because Shaun doesn't want to change Lea, and Shaun's core personality traits, his kindness, his sweetness, his honesty, even when it's brutal, the fact that there's never an agenda with him, are the things that Lea doesn't want to change about Shaun--but Shaun has to get out of the rubble of the brewpub first, and Lea has to decide what scares her more: never trying to have a romantic relationship with Shaun, or trying and possibly failing (which I am not at all convinced would ultimately be the case; it wouldn't be easy, but no relationship is).

Tony said...

As a fan of time-travel movies, I enjoy the prospect of thinking "4th-dimensionally" (to take a phrase from Back to the Future III).

As Andreas said in the lyrical analysis, "At the moment, she has lost any hope. But the door is not closed forever." VERY well-said!

Hope, by definition, involves the desire for something in the future without the certainty of it coming to be. So much of Lea's hang-up, as far as I can see, has been on NEGATIVE side of that certainty-free 4th-dimensional thinking. What if...it falls apart? She could lose her best friend (possibly the best friend she's ever had).

But what if...it works??? What if...there's a path for happiness, growth, and never-ending love?!?!?

Should the best-case happen on Monday night, I just want to emphasize (though I know I'm preaching to the choir HERE) that it will NOT be an issue of Lea changing her mind about loving Shaun. She already does!

It won't even be a matter of Lea changing her mindset (being forward-thinking).

What COULD happen, if things go the way we want them to, will be a change in DIRECTION of that mindset. A direction of hope. A direction of courage. And, as Amy said beautifully, a leap of faith!

Amy D said...

Excellent point, Tony, and I wholeheartedly agree!

Lea loves Shaun. She knows that. She told him that. But she also said she's too much for him, too selfish, too needy, too messy, and that she can't put all of that on him, and they would never work.

And I believe you're absolutely right about Lea being afraid of losing the best friend she's ever had. Lea has been coming from a place of fear, and a place of "Well, things are REALLY messed up now, it's been a rough couple of weeks, how are we gonna move forward from this, and get to a good place again?"

Well, now Lea is faced with the greatest fear of all: not having Shaun in her life ever again because he might die.

Next to that, what else could possibly be terrifying?

I'm trying to stay cool about Monday night, but the closer we get, the tougher it gets, because I could really use something good, something positive and something to look forward to, and I hope The Good Doctor comes through on that front with Shea.

Andreas said...

You two bring up interesting thoughts that mingle with my own. Thinking in the 4th dimension – thinking back and forward – has been a weakness of both, Shaun and Lea. Or a blind spot.

While he was theoretically aware of the limits his autism poses for him, Shaun concentrated on being a good doctor because his savant syndrome made him good at healing people. That lead him to believe he could fix it all (3.17 Autopsy); that he could save Lea and make her fall in love with him (inner dialogue 3.19). Which is totally uncalled-for, because Lea already loves him, but misses the reciprocity instead he can’t provide as easily because of his autism. In this sense, he does not make her more in the way she makes him more.

Finally, after this whole ordeal of episodes only meant to humble an arrogant, fix-it-all surgeon, Shaun has comprehended that a romantic relationship must be a two-way-street, too. It’s the ”I care that you care” of season 2 again. Shaun has learned to control his urges in that basement and to tend to the needs of others.

Now, what’s Lea’s closed lane on that two-way street? Lea can compromise. In fact, she has compromised a lot since they became roommates. But what Lea still cannot do is exerting control over herself either. She can’t control her urges (neediness, unhealthy coping) and she can’t control her fear to mess up any serious relationship (2.5 Carrots). While Shaun has been overconfident, Lea is lacking faith in herself. Again, the characters come from opposed extremes and need to complement each other. As ever, they are their mirrors.

Will the writers shatter the mirrors in 3.20 after we have come such a long way with them? I doubt that. This isn’t a film noir. Season 3 has been darker than the previous ones, but for a good reason. The main characters (Shaun & Lea; Morgan; Melendez, Claire & Lim; Park) had to be broken so they could emerge from the rubble as better version of themselves (Andrews made this journey in seasons 1 & 2 and came back in 3 humbled but more likeable). The potential for season 4 is so vast. Every step in Shaun and Lea’s friendship was rich in endearing plots. Rebuilding their friendship and transforming it into a romantic partnership seems to me a better subplot for season 4 than generating a new love interest for Shaun (or confining him to the hermit genius, as some less friendly “fans” wish for…)

Andreas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andreas said...

Now listen to that video of the autism consultant: https://youtu.be/Zft4VaoHltU

The original script had Lea accompanying Glassman to the event, but the autism consultant changed the writers’ minds to the actual plot we have witnessed. So, the deadly Glassman look was a late addition – but much for the good I would say. ;)

Amy D said...

Thanks, Andreas! I agree, the change in having Lea go to the event alone and Glassy give her that SERIOUS side-eye look does serve the overall story better.

And naturally, I agree that rebuilding their friendship and transforming it into a romantic partnership is a better story for Shaun and Lea in season 4 than a new love interest or Shaun totally alone. We all heard the man last week. He's in love with Lea, and he doesn't want to stop being who he is when he's with her. In this case, Shaun not changing his mind is a good thing.

David Shore did an interview with TV Guide, and I went back and read it just now, and this was what he had to say about Lea in the season finale:

"She has to ask herself a lot of questions about herself, but also about Shaun, about who Shaun is, and the fundamental questions in this series. What are Shaun's weaknesses? What are Shaun's strengths? I think that's what we're constantly asking ourselves about ourselves, about the people we love, and about people that we might love. What are their weaknesses? What are their strengths? What can they offer me? What can't they offer? What do I need in a relationship? What can I get, and what can I offer? Seeing Shaun in this setting, and seeing what he is facing, and seeing how he responds, and feeling her reaction to it, helps her answer those questions."

What jumped out at me was this passage: "What do I need in a relationship? What can I get, and what can I offer?"

Before she ever even mentioned his autism, or him needing things a certain way, Lea admitted that she loves Shaun but in the next breath, she immediately started putting herself down to him: "I'm selfish, and so, so needy, and messy. I can't put all of that on you."

That did not deter Shaun, however. He doesn't want to fix or change Lea. He just wants to be her boyfriend. Thus his response to that being, "I believe I can handle your selfishness and neediness and messiness."

Amy D said...

What does Lea need in a relationship? What can she get?

Somebody that's going to love her, flaws and all. Shaun already does.

Somebody that's going to stand by her. Again, Shaun already does. He has defended her to everyone else, and made it clear that despite their advice, he doesn't want to stop being in love with Lea.

Somebody that's not going to cut and run when she screws up, or if he does cut and run when she screws up, he will come back and fight for her, and for them. Shaun initially went into that building with his sole mission being to save Lea. He risked his life to save hers. Literally. If that's not proof that he'll fight for her no matter how much she screws up, no matter how deeply she hurts him, I don't know what is!

And hopefully, as tomorrow night's episode unfolds, Lea will come to know it too.

Shore also said that the earthquake will be resolved, but that the season finale tomorrow night is "less about the resolution [of the earthquake] and more about what's next, and setting up the questions we want to deal with next year."

I hope one of those questions is, how do Shaun and Lea build from the destruction of the past few episodes and the earthquake, and move forward?

Shaun always gets into a potentially tragic situation in the season finales, but in the end, he always gets that uplifting moment, that promise of better things coming. In season 1, Glassman was diagnosed with a brain tumor. He believed it was fatal, Shaun was so upset that he messed up in surgery, then by episode's end, Glassman had caved to Shaun's insistence for a second opinion and learned his tumor was treatable, leading to Shaun initiating that hug with him. In season 2, Shaun had been fired by Han, then injured in that bar fight so that he was unconscious and a patient in the hospital. By episode's end, Han was out, Shaun had his job back as a surgeon instead of being banished to Pathology, and he asked Carly out on a date and she accepted.

So season 3, Shaun's better things coming has been set up to include Lea. Don't let us down, show!

But seriously, can season 4 be about Shaun's career again? Like who will be Chief Resident in season 5, maybe?

Andreas said...

>>He risked his life to save hers. Literally. If that's not proof that he'll fight for her no matter how much she screws up, no matter how deeply she hurts him, I don't know what is!<<

In fact, this might be the writers’ idea what the character of Lea does need to take the leap of faith as you called it so tellingly AmiyD.

And I agree with the given structure of season finales before, we can expect something similar now again, because structure and repetition matter for the show.

Now, the question of chief resident is interesting. Any season is about Shaun career, too – it’s required to some extend because all residents are still in a competition. Both, competition and chief resident were referenced in season 3, so this is very possible coming up. Professionally, Shaun lacks competitiveness totally. This very well could become a topic in the upcoming season.

Season 3 was all about Shaun’s love. If – what we all hope for – Shaun and Lea can restore their common ground and proceed to something sweeter in a (prominent) subplot, the grand theme of season 4 could very well shift gear to his professional live again with competition as a focus (something individuals with ASD rarely have the claws for, I can tell…).

Andreas said...

>>What does Lea need in a relationship? What can she get? Somebody that's going to love her, flaws and all. Shaun already does. Somebody that's going to stand by her. Again, Shaun already does. <<
Well observed AmyD. Your musings resonate with something I was think of in the last days. The Good Doctor and its musical choices are astonishing. And the writers’ room is full of bad guys… When Shaun meets Lea for lunch in 3.14 Influence, there’s a song playing in the background, similar to the scene in the brewpub. And these lyrics read like the agenda for the whole upcoming story arc until the earthquake.

Dylan LeBlanc: “Domino” (derived from Latin “dominus” for master or house owner)

Move along/
We've got a long way to go/
And I know you're afraid/

Lea is reconsidering her choices of life; the two of them have come a long way and still have way to go. Lea is in fear about a romantic commitment with Shaun (2.5 Carrots, 3.16 Autopsy, 3.17 Fixation).

They'll call the law/
When they see what you have done/
They'll come to put you away/

Foreshadowing of Shaun’s actions in 3.18 Heartbreak; some fans will condemn Lea and/or Shaun for what to come.

Hey, Domino/
I hear that's what you're called/
You take everybody down when you fall/
Still, I ain't the one that you're gonna play/

This is about Lea again and her failing relationships (2.5 Carrots, Jake) and even Carly breaking up because of her. Lea is Shaun first love, she makes him more, hence “Domino” (“domina” would be the correct female form, but one can’t get everything with a preproduced song). It also can be read as Shaun’s raving from 3.16-18 and Lea resisting him.

You're feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/

Lea feels in a rut with her professional and personal life. She has low self-esteem.

You were/
A keeper to a happier home/
With a mother to a child of your own/

Reminiscence to their happier times being roommates (with Albert the Fish) before Jake, as Shaun still had his hopes up that it would only the two of them. They love each other, their flaws included. It’s a home both can come back to.

Between the bars and the late night calls/

Between Shaun’s workload as a resident and Lea going out with “other friends”/Jake they estranged from each other again slowly.

Now here we are/
And as much as I would like to ignore/
The fact I've never been here before/
Spendin' time I can't afford with you/

Lea is missing Shaun and realizing she might be seriously is in love with him – opposed to her casual flings with other men – and the idea is frightening her because she could hurt him (3.16-18). Shaun almost canceled the lunch with Lea because of his case.

Domino/
I hear that's what you're called/
You take everybody down when you fall/
Still, I ain't the one that you're gonna play/

Lea’s romantic relationships did not last long so far, but Shaun wants a stable relationship with her. Shaun on the other hand is currently focused on medicine (and Carly), Lea feels out of the loop and tries to reconnect in 3.14/15.

You're feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/

You're feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/
Feelin' like you're nothin' at all/

Foreshadowing of her reasons to turn him down in 3.16 Autopsy.

Domino, Domino/
I ain't the one that you're gonna play/
I ain't the one that you're gonna play/
I ain't the one that you're gonna play/

Shaun won’t be turned down that easily, he will put up a fight.

That’s what I can offer for now, hope the song will help you all through the waiting for the episode to air! ;)