Friday, October 25, 2019

2019 Skate Canada International: Previews & Predictions

I love how fast everything starts rolling once the ISU Grand Prix season comes along... even if it sends bloggers like me into a tailspin at times!

Here are some guesses for the action in Kelowna, B.C. this weekend: 


DANCE

GOLD: Hubbell/Donohue (USA)
SILVER: Gilles/Poirier (CAN)
BRONZE: Hawayek/Baker (USA)

Let’s be honest-- I’m pretty much going by world rank here. If you read my Skate America recap, and/or followed my Twitter feed, you know I’m not yet a fan of H/D’s free dance this season. But, barring a skating-world disaster, they’ll win this one. To be honest, I’m not yet a full-blown fan of the new Gilles/Poirier “Both Sides Now” FD either (after having seen it at the Autumn Classic last month), but I’m required to cut them some slack because I’m not sure how they can top their “Vincent” FD from last season. On the other hand, I DID enjoy Hawayek/Baker’s FD when I caught it at Nebelhorn Trophy (Sharp!! I wrote in my notes). So don't miss that!

Eyes on: Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha of Canada, the young’uns (18 and 20) and current World Junior Champs, making their GP debut on home ice this weekend. 


LADIES

GOLD: Alexandra Trusova (RUS)
SILVER: Rika Kihira (JPN)
BRONZE: Evgenia Medvedeva (RUS)

Dang, does this SkCAN ladies field make last week’s impressive ladies roster look like amateur night or what? Notice how I don’t have Bradie Tennell (SkAM’s silver medalist) on the podium—that’s because I think she’ll do very well to place 4th or 5th here. Same thing with reigning Olympic Silver Medalist/ 2017 World Champion Medvedeva. Last year was a “rebuilding” season for her; she looks better and better with each event. Still, stacked against one young lady bearing multiple consistent quads (Trusova), and one with at least a fairly consistent triple axel (Kihira, who may or may not be introducing a quad this year too), I’m not confident that even a spot-on Medved can win. Again, a medal of any color will be a triumph for the ladies of SkCAN.

Eyes on: Young You, who first made headlines winning the South Korean Nationals at age ELEVEN. Now 15, she’s got two Top 10 World Junior finishes under her cap and makes her GP debut here at SkCAN. (And may be another one attempting a triple axel.)

PAIRS:
GOLD: Tarasova/Morozov (RUS)
SILVER: Boikova/Kozlovskii (RUS)
BRONZE: Moore-Towers/Marinaro (CAN)

I haven’t caught a lot of early-season pairs action, so I had to look up the music being used to have at least a vague sense of familiarity… and it appears Tara/Moro (everyone’s favorite blonde & ginger Russian team) are taking on Bolero for their SP. I think that’s as strong a sign as any that their brand of GP hardball isn’t expected to let up anytime soon. I also expect the Russian teenager team (Boi/Koz) to capture silver over M-T/M, who remain a reliable team… if not necessarily one that’s still improving.

Eyes on: The new Canadian partnership of Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau; she was with Dylan Moscovitch until last he retired last year, and Bilodeau was partnered with Julianne Seguin until July 2018. Together, Ilyushodeau already claimed an impressive 3rd at Finlandia Trophy this season. (Does anyone know if Seguin has re-partnered yet? I'd like to see her back in competition too.)

MEN:
GOLD: Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN)
SILVER: Matteo Rizzo (ITA)
BRONZE: Keiji Tanaka (JPN)

I know, I know… this is the fourth trip Hanyu has made to SkCAN, and so far he’s yet to win anything higher than silver. But like Nathan Chen last weekend, I just don’t see any of the men in this field beating him, even on his worst day. (Apologies to Hanyu if I just jinxed him for the worst upset ever.) And if you’re thinking I wonder what she’s thinking with Tanaka in 3rd; his only GP medal was won FOUR years ago… I admit it’s a risk, but Tanaka’s also coming off a win at the U.S. International Classic. So I haven’t completely lost it… yet.


Eyes on: Nam Nguyen, Nicolas Nadeau, and Roman Sadovsky (ages 21, 22, and 20, respectively), Canada’s representatives at the event, all eager to get on the SkCAN podium for the first time.

No comments: