Thursday, November 22, 2018

2018 Internationaux de France Previews/Predictions

After finishing my kitchen cleanup from serving Thanksgiving dinner S E V E R A L hours ago, here are my GP France predictions. One more event until we know who’s in this year’s Final-!!

MEN:
GOLD: Nathan Chen (USA)
SILVER: Alexander Samarin (RUS)
BRONZE: Boyang Jin (CHN)

Samarin seems like the only one in the field who might have the quad consistency to be runner-up to Chen here. (Of course Chen will bring a whole lot more to the event than quads, making him the only possible victor here unless perhaps he falls ill, or gets trapped under a car.)

EYES ON Dmitri Aliev, who could easily outskate Samarin or Boyang for a medal.

LADIES:
GOLD: Rika Kihira (JPN)
SILVER: Evgenia Medvedeva (RUS)
BRONZE: Mai Mihara (JPN)

Medved is still in this hunt for sure, but after what she threw down at NHK Trophy, Kihira’s triple axel-hitting odds are too strong to overlook.

EYES ON Marin Honda, who only finished 8th at Skate America earlier this season but is most definitely still a top contender for just about any podium. Don’t underestimate her!

PAIRS:
GOLD: James/Cipres (FRA)
SILVER: Boikova//Kozlovskii (RUS)
BRONZE: Ryom/Kim (PRK)

Is it OK to say it’s been a lackluster pairs season thus far except for the front-runner emergence of James/Cipres? I think I just did. (Can I also say I REALLY look forward to Sui/Han’s return? Good.)

DANCE:
GOLD: Papadakis/Cizeron (FRA)
SILVER: Gilles/Poirier (CAN)
BRONZE: Hawayek/Baker (USA)


Eyes on Papa/Ciz because this is their season debut, and what else are you going to want to look at once they’re on the ice?

2 comments:

Jessica B. said...

I'm so excited to see Pap/Ciz compete. Also, I'm looking forward to see how G/P and H/B stack up. So far, they have two of my favorite free dances this season and it will be interesting to see if they can improve on their first Grand Prix outings.

Kelli Lawrence said...

Me too! Since G/P had an error in their RD at Skate Canada (I think it was because they were avoiding hitting the wall with one of their elements?) I think their overall score can go considerably higher this time if they skate clean.