One look on You Tube at the All That Skate show that was performed (and aired) in South Korea last week, and it’s clear: when it comes to figure skating these days, Kim Yu-Na has ALL THE MONEY.
Just kidding. Kind of. But this has become an annual show, put on, I believe, by the management company formed by Kim and her mother. They’ve got a sprawling arena. They’ve got terrific lighting AND an always-percolating graphics/animation display. They’ve got TV coverage, and “Live” coverage at that (according to the icon in the upper right corner—which is not to be confused with the animated Yu-Na in the lower left corner, endlessly spinning and blowing us kisses). They’ve got star after bewildering star on the performance roster, and that doesn’t even include Queen Yu-Na herself. They’ve got an Asian woman belting out Aerosmith in the closing number! And most importantly, they’ve got a packed-to-the-rafters house (something the recent SOI tour would have loved to see). Yep, that young lass can sure put on a show.
Several links to the performances appear below. As usual, I’m not embedding them within the blog… but if it would be helpful to you for me to start doing that with Clip of the Day and otherwise, please send me a note and let me know!
I’m listing these in reverse order of You Tube popularity as I go to press...
10) John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana (his wife) skating to “Purple Rain”…
9) Belbin and Agosto skating to “If It Kills Me” (their kids-to-grownups number from SOI)
8) Sale and Pelletier skating to the decidedly unromantic MJ ditty “Scream” (Wasn’t this their first skating gig since announcing their divorce?)
7) Michelle Kwan skating to Annie Lennox’s “Primitive”
6) Brian Joubert skating to Daft Punk’s “Aerodynamic”
5) Sasha Cohen skating to Jeff Buckley’s “Hallelujah”
4) Jeremy Abbott skating to his brand new tango SP “Viejos Aires”
(And I must add… this is already on its way to smokin’…)
3) Kim Yu-Na and Michelle Kwan skating a duet to Mariah Carey’s “Hero”
2) Stephane Lambiel skating (and nailing a quad!) to “William Tell’s Overture”
And #1… (duh) Kim Yu-Na skating (debuting?) a new show piece to La Roux’s “Bulletproof”
Hopefully that’ll be enough Clips of the Day for you!