Tuesday, May 27, 2008

So Now What?

It’s been 2 months since Worlds, and a week since our really lovely post-script on the season (seeing Kristi win Dancing with the Stars). Even ten or twelve years ago, when you couldn’t swing a patch scribe without hitting a TV skating event of some kind… they’d generally tapered off by this time of the year.

To get our fix, we turn to VCRs if you’re like me… TiVo if you’re like the rest of the world…and You Tube if you like your skating “vintage”, and maybe a little fuzzy in quality.

And I promise that’s not a ding on You Tube at all—I’m more grateful to this service, and all the great people posting their old tapes there, than they could ever know. It’s putting me back in touch with all the things I came to love about this sport. (Which is not to say I don’t love it now, but… ah, well, that’s another post for another day. Or maybe three or four days.)

Sometime soon I will come up with different themes for a week’s worth of Clips of the Day. For now, the makeshift “theme” will be innovation… because even if some of these folks were more than the judges could handle at the time, their legacy lives on as long as we can click on links like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kpxfvsY2swA

Enjoy The Duchesnays at their 1991 World Championship best!

No comments: