LADIES & PAIRS PREDICTIONS!!
GOLD: Evgenia Medvedeva (RUS)
SILVER: Satoko Miyahara (JPN)
BRONZE: Elena Radionova (RUS)
Dark Horse: Mao Asada (JPN)
Gold, 4th U.S.
Here is the difference, in my book anyway, between someone I predict to finish 4th and one that I cast as the “Dark Horse”: the latter is a wild card. In this case... if Asada can put things together like she has a hundred times before, she’s a definite threat to the podium. If she skates like she has most of this season... different story.
As for our chances of “ending the drought” in terms of
medals in this discipline? Yes, I think we have a
chance. But I went ahead and predicted Wagner for the podium last year, and she
ended up 5th. So I’m swinging the opposite way this time... simple
as that J U.S.
So yes, I’ve got Medvedeva on top like so many others. I DO think there is upset potential via Miyahara, whose skating I admittedly prefer to Med’s. But any potential errors aside, I know Miyahara still has smallish jumps that are starting to (have been??) get tagged for edge calls and underrotations. She’s consistent as can be, but this may not be her year. On the other hand, Med has been on fire all year as if she knows her “moment” will expire in a few short months... and as Russian skating dynamos go, that could prove to be true. (Looking at you, Maria Sotskova.)
GOLD: Volosohzar/Trankov (RUS)
SILVER: Sui/Han (CHN)
BRONZE: Duhamel/Radford (CAN)
Dark Horse: Stolbova/Klimov (RUS) and Savchenko/Massot (GER)
Kayne/O’Shea, 7th U.S.
This is so hard!! I feel a lot more familiar with Du/Rad and Sui/Han currently than Volo/Trank (and especially “newbies” Sav/Mass), so my reasoning on this predictions goes like this:
1) Volo/Trank have about as solid a reputation as can be had in this sport (oh, and an OGM too)
2) Sui/Han looked breathtaking at 4CC a few weeks ago.
3) Du/Rad had had a tumultuous year, sometimes through no fault of their own
4) Sav/Mass fought long and hard to get the right to compete... but above all else, they’re still quite new compared to the other names mentioned here.
And FINALLY... a small wish list of things I’d really like to see in
(Aside from, you know, everyone skating their best followed by fair, honest judging)
1) For Wagner to shred that SP (and Asada with her FS) like they did the first time competing with it.
pair teams to land their SBS jumps. U.S.
men to Find A Way to three spots again. U.S.
4) For at least one of the top 3 men to “skate like we know they can” so we’re not needing to explain the podium to our friends all off-season long
That’s all I’ve got! As usual, look for me on Twitter @ KLBSt8ofSk8!